Looking for efficient speakers

squirrly
Are Klipsch speakers very efficient? Also what amp/pre amp or receiver would be a good match for Klipsch refrence series HT? Listen to 60% movies, 40% music.

why do you want an efficient speaker? "Inefficient" speakers can sound very good.

Jerry
Klipsch are usually pretty efficient as are Cerwin Vegas. I would choose the Klipschs. Why efficient speakers? If you want to crank your music, then inefficient speakers will tax your amp alot more than an efficient speaker, even to the point of clipping it. An extra 10dB of sensitivity means you only need 1/10 the power, which could mean getting up to 110dB which is really loud vs. 100dB which is so-so loud. If shaking your neighbors' windows is your style, then you need sensitive speakers. Also, really efficient speakers seem to carry with them the "Live" club sound, which I really like, but I know not all do.

sqrirrly
Im looking for efficient speakers because I dont want to have to use incredibly large amounts of power to play at high volumes.

UNICRON-WMD
Efficient speakers are good but most of them don't sound all that clean at loud levels. I say take a few CDs to the store and have fun man. I bought my Infinity Studio Monitor about 6-7 years ago. They sounded TERRIBLE on my old JVC receiver. I soon bought my YAMAHA receiver and I fell in love with this match. I can hit 118dbs with NO audible distortion and NO bright highs with only 75 watts per ch from my warm (yea, I said it!!!)YAMAHA receiver.

So, make sure to do a lot of listening before you buy and match them up with a warm receiver.

Good luck man.

Jerry
It's been a while since I looked at the Infinity Studio Monitors but if memory serves they were in fact pretty efficient, at least the larger ones were. Mid 90's per 1watt input/1 meter reference. Just remember, it takes 10 times the power to raise the level 10dB. For example: an 88dB 1w/1m spec on a speaker. Typical efficiency to expect from most high end speakers. to get 98dB, you need 10 watts, 108 dB would need 100watts, and 118 dB would require 1,000 watts-continuous-per channel. That's 2,000 watts which isn't even obtainable out of an outlet as the breaker is set to trip at 1,800 watts. But with good efficient speakers, you can soar past the threshold of pain (120dB) with a couple of hundred watts per channel. While I agree with Unicron about the sounding good at high levels with an efficient speakers, you can have your cake and eat it too with a 95-97dB SPL 1w/1m rated speaker.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us