8" Sony Powered Subwoofer.

Username: Redrhino

Post Number: 10
Can anyone comment on the 8" sony Powered Subwoofer?

Silver Member
Username: Kegger

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 943
which model?

and what are you expecting to get from it?

if all you want is a little bass for home theatre
than it will probably do fine.

but if your looking for something really nice i
dought the sony is your answer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
The model is the $100 Sony 8" 100watt Powered Subwoofer SAW250. I am expecting to get a noticeable bass improvement from my Aiwa stereo Dolby Pro Logic surround sound system CX-NMT720. How come you doubt Sony is my answer?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 954
sony just isn't the greatest manufacturer when it
comes to speakers.

they make some fine products and some not so fine products.

their are many good subwoofer companys out there
but for $100 i'm sure it's very limited.

but i'm sure it will do an admirable job for
your application. so it's probably a descent deal
and will provide you with more bass then you are currently getting.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
What about Sharper Image? Is that company good at making subwoofers?

Silver Member

MICHIGAN

Post Number: 956
I do not believe sharper image makes subwoofers.
they buy products from other companies and sell
them through their various shops and magazines.

some of your better subwoofer companies are.

SVS,Velodyne,Sunfire,Hsu Research and REL.

with the most thrifty of the bunch probably
being Velodyne.
I think you can even find them at curcuit city.

studranger
Unregistered guest
if you want a true subwoofer sound,as i suspect you do--be prepared to spend at least 300.00-regardless of room size-a 250 watt is the starting point--anything less will sound thin-yes--even in a small room at normal volume-in audio you get what you pay for-i have an infinity 250 watt sub in a 12x14 room--my son in law bought a velodyne 100 watt sub same sized room--99.00 lol-bass is super thin--no oomph--save up and get a sub--NOT a cheap imitation---youll be happy with it-trust me---ive been in audio for 35 yrs

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 161
Try putting a fan on top of the Sony sub while its on...there will be a surprised!

Username: Touche6784

Post Number: 3
To studranger. I've never heard of a Velodyne sub going for $99. Probably the reason the Velodyne was so thin was because it was the VX 10 which franklky sucks amd is Velodyne's cheapest sub. Anything other than that one will provide very good clean bass. To stephen. i agree with kegger. Velodyne makes very good subs with the exception of the VX-10. The CHT series is a good one to start with. If you search online you can find it for less than 200 including shipping from some places.

jennifromthelou
Unregistered guest
Where can I find a cheap one? Or the cheapest one but quality one.

Silver Member
Username: Disco_stan

Minnesota

Post Number: 162
Well geez, whats your budget? Fluance is inexpensive and a very good sub. I have the 150-DB which is the 10" model.

Trudy
Unregistered guest
I need help, I purchased a Sony 5 speaker set for our Kenwood stereo system. We currently have the old, Large speakers that sit on the floor. Do I need a sub? The speaker set has 350 watts total (70 W x5). Video shielded. Full range design. 2 13/16 in drivers. I know nothing about stereos (obviously) We use the system to basically watch movies..We don't need the best, just something affordable that works.

Username: Quegyboe

Post Number: 3
I don't know if your Sony sub is the same as mine (silver and black with a power switch and bass volume control), but I have a Sony 8" sub that came with my home theater in a box system and it sounds good to me. Keep in mind that I'm not an audiophile so I don't need window-shattering bass but the sub does have a decent kick to it. I find it all depends on the sound you play. For DVD's and movies the sub is perfectly fine but with music, it seems to depend alot on the song. Some songs shake the whole house and some songs sound like the sub isn't even on! I've also found that upgrading the cables and wiring helps a fair bit too. Sony included this pathetic speaker wire and sub cable. I swapped the sub line cable with a higher gage gold plated cable and noticed the difference right away. Overall, I'm quite happy with my purchase and I will recommend this system to anyone who wants a half decent system for the good price!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us