Is it OK to Mix Speakers?

Anonymous
Hi everyone. My question is.. Is it OK to have an different centre channel speaker? I have Mission 700 speakers for my main L & R. My centre speaker also was a mission but got really badly damaged when i was moving, so now i need a new centre speaker. My speakers are 5 years old and i can't find the centre to match these 700's. I really like the missions and i don't want to get a new system. Any ideas on what i can do? Can i buy a different brand like B&W to go with these speakers. Would they sound off balance? Any ideas would be great.

Thanks..

DAK
As I understand it the most important thing to match up is the type (construction/size) of tweeters in the fronts vs. center.

Hawk
DAK is correct--you need to match the center as closely as possible with the mains. You can always get a current Mission speaker that would be very close to your mains, such as the Mission 78c, which is the center speaker matched to the current 78 series (which replaced your 700 series, I think).

Otherwise, it is a matter of experimentation with what works. B+W LCR 60 would be a good choice for a matching center, as would the KEF Q-9C.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Thanks for the advice Hawk & DAK. I will look at the new line of missions, i really like these speakers. I also will try the B&W LCR 60's to see how it sounds. Thanks again.

I have a pair of Vandersteen speakers and just mated them to a B&W LCR 600 center channel speaker. I like it quite a bit and it mates well to my Vandersteens. It may have been the acoustics of the room, but I wasn't too fond of the LCR60. So you may want to audition both.

Unregistered guest
Hello all. I am making my Home Entertainment System. I have 4 Sansui 7500X Speakers (22 yrs. old), in great condition. I would like to add a B&W LCR 60, and then later on a subwoofer(B&W) to complete my system. Will the Sansui's and B&W LCR 60 match up for a quality sound system? Any advice will help. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us