HT Newbie looking for speakers for Onkyo TX-NR801

Michael B
Hi All,

I've done a lot of reading on this BBS and various reviews around the net. Like most people I'm probably in info overload now. I'm hoping Hawk, GT and others of you who seem to have vast knowledge can help with a final decision after knowing my specifics. (Forgive the length, but I want to answer all the questions I've seen you ask.)

I'm looking to replace a 12-year-old Pioneer VSX-7300 with a really nice HT system. My listening preference is close to 90% movies and I want a better-than-theater experience because I feel the local movie theater equate loud with good surrond. Therefore, I want the best possible surround experience with at least a 6.1 setup, possibly exandable in the future.

I am definitely not an audio- or stereophile, so I don't understand terms like "bright" or "forward-sounding", or tight vs. not-tight bass. On the other hand, I want music to sound good, but don't usually sit in the family room to listen. It'd be nice to drive a second set of speakers out by the pool for music.

After reading a lot of reviews I am leaning toward an Onkyo TX-NR801 with Aperion speakers since I can get the 6.1 setup with the 12" sub and receiver under $2500. However, if I can get similar quality at a better price or better quality at the same price, I'm all ears!

The rectangular part of the room is 15.5 x 17, but it's shaped funny.

See layout here...My Room

On either side of the 8' wall unit that has the TV are doors, so LR speakers either need to be wall-mounted or on top of the wall unit. To the right of the wall unit is a 45 degree angle to a wall with an 8'x8' sliding glass door leading to a 4' wall that's parallel to the left side of the room (20' total across). The remaining space is open to the breakfast area and hallway.

The room has wall-to-wall carpeting and a 10' ceiling. Primary seating is shown, there's also a sofa along left wall. Unfortunately, the way the room lays out my first choice is wall mounting all speakers high and angling them down. Does that work?

From previous posts I've gathered Aperion, Ascend or Axiom might all be good choices, but I have no idea what works best for this room. (I'm not locked in to the receiver, but it has favorable reviews and a good price from Aperion, assuming their speaker price is not inflated.

Thank you all for your patience reading this. I look forward to your opinions.

Michael

Michael B
BTW, with the room layout, would a 12" sub be better than a 10" and should I try to put the LR surrounds on the side wall where they'd be in front of the seating position or put LR and C on the back wall?

Thanks again in advance.

Anonymous
Michael,

To get a better understanding of the terms used on the board check out Stereophile's glossary at
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/index.html

I'm assuming from your post that your budget is $2500, is that correct?

The higher end Onkyos (701 and up) are good receivers and should match well with the Aperions, although I've haven't heard them personally.

Why the Onkyo 801?

Michael B
Thanks for the link...looks like good reading!

As for the budget...WELL (think Lucy Ricardo's voice)...$2500 is a little high for spousal approval. $2000 would be better if I can get similar quality. Basically, I after hearing some of you talk about Aperion, I read every review I could find. Although I saw some tradeoffs, the reviews were consistently very positive.

I chose the Onkyo 801 because I've heard good things about it, would support expandability to 7.1 in a different room in the future, and could drive stereo speakers elsewhere in the house. Also, Aperion gives a very good price on it in their 6.1 package. (They're also offering Monster XP speaker wire free...is that a good choice?)

Nothing's bought yet, so if I can get similar or better quality less than $2500 let me know what to look at.

My main worry is getting the best surround speaker system for wall mounting since stands are not an option.

Michael B
Just to add another option into the mix...I saw a thread discussing NHT speakers with the Onkyo. Can anyone address how these might compare with Aperion, Axiom and Ascend?

I guess it's harder getting feedback on the online-only companies because nobody's had the chance to listen to them.

Anonymous
Anyone one have any advice/opinions here? I hear good things about Axioms QS8 surrounds, but think the subs from Aperion or Ascend would be better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us