Adding Extra Speakers

Help forum, I have big home theater setup, two fronts, one center, two surround, two subwoofers. Is it possible that I can add two more speakers to hang on the side of my walls? Could I run the wire off from the power sub-woofers? Or does anybody have better idea how I can hook up these two more sat. sepeakers.
Please respond by email
Thank U

G.DawG
Does your receiver/amp have B speaker outputs? you could use those to power the side speakers. I dont think it is possible to run extra speakers off of a sub amp.

Or in a 7.1 system the surrounds are on the sides, maybe you want to upgrade to a 7.1 receiver? Or get a 2 channel power amp and use the front channel pre-outs to feed the amp.

I'll post here I guess also, just in case anyone else wants the info :-) Hope this helps!

G.DawG

G.Dawg,
I only have 5.1 dig. rec. in the house. I just bought it, don't think wife will be happy buying 7.1 rec. As far as 2 channel power amp not sure where to get those< I could try that. How would that work? I have to look in back of rec. to see if it has b speaker outputs. Thanks U hope to here back from you soon

The best solution would definitely be a 7.1 channel receiver.

Second choice would be an external amplifier. A receiver is a combination of 3 things; a tuner (for the radio), preamplifier (switches between sources, decodes digital sound, contains your tone control, etc.) and a power amp which does your amplification. If you have a line-level, (also know as pre-amp) output from your receiver you could hook the line level outputs for the rear speakers to an external amp and drive the speakers with that. Any decent stereo shop will carry the amplifier.

The third possibility is to just hook up a second set of speakers to the rear speaker outputs. But you'd have to have high impedance speakers (greater than 8 ohms, minimum, and/or a high current receiver). When you parallel speakers like that you will effectively half the impedance to the receiver, so you can cause the receiver to shut down (best case) or blow up (worst case) if the speakers impedance is too low for the receiver.

Good luck

G.DawG
The best thing you could do (I mean as far as getting help) is tell me the receiver model number, then I can tell you if it has B speaker outs, pre-amp outputs and all that. And, if you get it all to work (either by buying the seperate amp or 7.1 rcvr) I could also advise you on speakers that would match. Also what is the size of your room? If you dont mind me asking, why are you adding the extra speakers?

Michael M
Sherwood RD-6108 and Pioneer VSX D309. I bought BestBuy deal on speaker system for $69.99 so now i took they 100w sub upstairs, took the 60w sub downstairs, now have two 60w sub pumping out in home theater basement. So I thought maybe I could use the extra sat. speakers to add the home theater, the room is 20x25 great room catherdal ceilings. So instead of spending more money for a 7.1 SCREW it just stay with what I have.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us