Post Number: 18311

Go elsewhere for car audio questions.

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 3400
Jan,
Let me see if I've got this straight?

This is NOT the place to pose automotive questions? Is that what you're after?

It might do some good if the goofball running Ecoustics actually enforced some discipline.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18318

Brian doesn't do "discipline". He hasn't for ... oh, the last decade.

He collects ad money. He's content to do that. "F the forum" is his moto IMO.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18319

Leo, check the "suggestions and feedback" section of the overall forum. Waaaaaay back when, before I was even a registered member, Brian did occasionally look at those threads. A few members were actually banned for their behavior. Brian retains the sole capacity to ban anyone.

Brian controls what this site is and how it looks and acts. Thing is, Brain doesn't give a sh!t about the forum. He sees it, IMO, as a bunch of whiney cry babies who can't behave like adults and that takes up a lot of his time to manage the BS that arises from the a**holes who have shown up here and created havoc.

He does "reviews" which means he gets stuff for free and has manufacturers calling him for a good review. Nice work if you can get it, eh?

Read the threads in that suggestions section and look for any sign of Brian's presence. If you find it, please, let me know.

As far as I can see, this forum is on auto-pilot and is only here as another way to attract a few people to the ads to raise more revenue.

Then head to the home page.

There's no longer even a mention of forums being a part of this site.

At one time, other forums referred people to this forum as a good place for assistance. We had several sales people, several long time hobbyists, reps, designers and manufacturers who participated in the questions and answers.

Forums were mentioned on the home page not that long ago - maybe five years? - but they have disappeared as a pull for anyone to visit and chat. I kind of wonder how anyone gets to these forums nowdays.

In one way, the slow traffic has kept the maniacs down to a manageable level. If you want someone paying attention to you showing your @ss, this is no longer the place to get it. But that hardly makes up for the down sides of what this forum has become.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3401
Just ONE minor point:

Forums ARE mentioned on the home page.

But, 'ya gotta know WHERE to look. right up At The Top.

Got a radio code for a '56 Buick RoadMaster?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18320

On my Chromebook, no mention of forums on the homepage; https://www.ecoustics.com/

I can find "forums" when I go searching and clicking. Yeah. But, really?! It had been a semi-prominent feature of the home page not that long ago.

On a Kindle Fire HD; same, no mention of forums.

On the iPad I have for work; same, no mention of forums.

I can't read a d@mn thing on my Android phone.

The Windows 7 PC in the other room takes about 10 minutes to boot up and install all the updates since the last time I used it for some photos so I don't care what it says.

No idea what you're seeing, leo.

I could be wrong, but, I think the radio code for that Buick is "buy-a-new-tube".

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3402
How's that Chromebook? LeoLaporte is BIG on them. Good bang-4-buck.

I'm getting a last-of-tube Zenith TransOceanic repaired right now. Maybe 100$ worth of caps and resistors.
The tubes? Glad you asked. They are 1volt tubes and I've NEVER seen any of 'em in a stereo. The chasis fits 5 or 6 of 'em and all are 'weird' numbers. B+? What's THAT?

Tube compliment from one of the last chasis numbers:
6 Tubes: 1L6, 1U4, 1U4, 1U5, 3V4 50A1 They are supposed to last a LONG time but some types are VERY rare and $$$$

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 18321

The Chromebook is great for me. I don't work offline in most cases so gutting those functions makes for a very fast response to other commands. Searches are easy-peasy. Stores lots of data on the cloud.

For even moderately heavy on line commands and simple offline tasks, Chromebooks are aimed directly at those users. Students are the primary market, it's simplicity defined for that use. I paid less than $200 for this one and it's lasted longer than any of my previous Windows BS.

Also, no security software to buy every year.

I have the Windows PC for photos and I do so little on it beyond that one function that it will - hopefully last for awhile without anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-this and that.

The Chromebook doesn't accept RAW files from my cameras so I still need the Windows unit. It's good for Jpegs and social media stuff I suppose, I don't do that so I'm not sure.

Work gave me an iPad to carry around. My use of it is pretty minimal so maybe I'm missing the whole "Apple experience".

I cannot understand why people put up with Apple's BS ways. True, if you want to do graphics and more complex off line tasks on a computer, Mac has always been a superior platform. I understand it is now "one of" the superior platforms for off line work.

To me Apple products are pretty much a status symbol now. Or you've got yourself into a situation where you need what Mac does and you can't escape.

"B+" in an amplifier typically refers to the power supply and the discrete feeds coming from it. Is the tube marked "B+"?

I'm not familiar with any of those tube numbers. As long as you are staying within the tube families which have been maintained as useful for "conventional" purposes (musicians still buy more tubes than any other single group), they are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

The number of old-school tube types you can find has dwindled as the old radio/TV repair shops have closed in the last twenty years and their tube stocks have been purchased and disseminated (at great profits for the sellers).

Most tubes have equivalents and they might be cheaper or easier to locate. You should be able to call up the old RCA Tube Manuals and check for numbers.

In the mid-1950's though, very few people would have thought tubes weren't going to be in constant use for decades forward. Designing a new tube for a specific purpose was rather common. GM certainly would have had the pull to get that job done. Those tubes are rare and expensive today since they were produced in fairly small quantities and no one is producing those same tubes today.

Just goes to show the greatness of a 12AX7 and a 6L6 IMO.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us