In ceiling or wall mounted rear surrounds

My wife is wonderfully letting me put together my home theater system. She's already not too happy about the size of the receiver (Yamaha RX-V3300), front speakers (Vandersteen 2cI with stands) and center channel speaker (B&W LCR600). To appease her I'm trying to make the 3 rear speakers in a 6.1 system as unobtrusive as possible. The hifi shop I purchased the center channel from suggested B&W CCM80 in ceiling speakers, which they said should work fine. But they preferred the B&W DS6 on wall speaker or the similar CDS6 in wall speaker. Both of the wall-mounted speakers can be either dipole or monopole, depending on the music source. I'm under the impression that dipoles work better for surround sound. The CDS6 would probably not be objectionable to her, but they're about $100-200 more per speaker and ceiling mounting would be much easier for me as there is attic space above the room, but the walls are exterior and filled with insulation. Any suggestions as to whether the ceiling mounted speakers would sound good for the effect speakers or whether I should spend the extra money, push for wall mounted speakers and try snaking the wires past the insulation?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us