Distortion on Wharfedale 8.3 Tweeter Help!!

Anonymous
I have a pair of Wharfedale 8.3's connected to a Marantz sr5400 which are both fairly new purchases. I noticed that on playing classical music i get a distrotion on one of the tweeters on one of the speakers...with Pop and rock I don't seem to get it (or its less evident)...I have played around with a number of classical disks and the distortion is definately evident. Could anyone offer any help on this??? The tweeter can't of blown I've hardly used these speakers...and I never even reach half way up the volume.... Help please....I feel I've wasted my money...

Berny
any distortion is not normal on any good speaker at normal volumes. Call on your 5 year warranty and send that unit back
cheers

Anonymous
Unfortunately I purchased the speakers on ebay and emailed the seller and thus far no response. They were sold 'as-new' but ex-display...guess it serves me right for not doing it properly.

Would it be worth contacting Wharfedale themselves??? How easy is it (or expensive) to change a tweeter???

I've done some more tests and in music where the pitch is quite sharp and high there is definately crackling and distortion.

DenonFan
POssible causes

1) The tweeter may be fine it might be the capacitor that is gone. Not a difficult repair but must be done with a bit of caution and the correct parts.

2) The tweeter itself may have gone.

3) Tweeter and capacitor have gone or are going

Any local speaker repair shop should be able to assess the problem easily if you are unsure of how to do it.

Repair might run from 50$ to 500$ to fix depending on the replkacement parts if required and the effort involved.

Anonymous
I've sent a note to Wharefedale and amazingly they have said that if i send them the tweeter they can examine it and if they find a problem they will replace it free of charge...I guess the next question is how do i remove my tweeter without damaging anything???

Berny
I haven't examined the Wharfedales in a while, but the tweeters should be mounted by four or five screws on the front baffle. You do not need to disassemble the enclosure from the rear. Use the proper size screw drivers to avoid slipping and possibly damaging the speakers any further. You should pry them off gently by using a plastic tool, for they could be mounted with some light weight tack to keep the speakers from any rattles. The wires could be attached any number of ways but usually they are soldered in place. Sometimes they are crimped on or screwed in place. If they are soldered on, you could snip the wires as close to the tip of the terminals as possible (take note of the polarity + & -). When it comes time to re-solder them back in place it is easier to clean the tip of the terminals than it is to lengthen a wire that has been cut too short.
let us know how it turns out.
cheers

Anonymous

Ok I've removed the tweeter and carefully wrapped it up with a letter to the guy I've been contacting by email in Wharefedale tech support. I've reassembled the speaker less this tweeter and connected everything back up....just tried some Mozart Piano variations (which was distorting badly before)....and although I obviously miss the portions of sound where the old tweeter would be doing its job the music sounds clean without distortion. Everything points to a problem on that tweeter. Am I damaging anything (my Amp, the other speaker, cables???) by playing my speakers without this tweeter???? If I'm not damaging anything then I will listen to music less this tweeter until I get something back from Wharefdale....the distortion was that bad that I prefer the sound now (less that tweeter) rather than before!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us