B&W CDM 7NT

C K Ian
Hi, guys,

I just got a new system home for a test drive. It is my first real system. I got B&W CDM 7NT (a good deal since the model is phasing out) and Arcam AVR200. I was pretty excited about it. But once I hook everything up, I was completely disappointed. High and mid-range is sweet and clear, but the bass is totally gone. Is there anything that I may have done want? I have checked the cables and receiver setup, it looks alright.

Any advice on what I should do next? I only have 7 days that I can refund the system.

Thanks in advance

timn8ter
Have you played around with the port tuning for the bass unit? I understand there are many possible combinations.

C K Ian
What is port tuning? Please enlighten me.

Also, I have found several user comment that these speakers requires a prolonged break-in period for the bass to really come out. Will this be the reason? Have anyone experienced this with CDM7NT? What should watch out during this break-in period? What kind of music to play??

Thanks

Berny
CK
If you are looking for thundering bass on the CDM7NTs, you are probably going to be disappointed. The bass is adequate for a lot of music but it tapers off at around 60-65 Hz although I believe it is rated at 40 Hz. The cones just aren't big enough to push a lot of air. Even though they are Kevlar, a lot of people may have misinterpreted this to mean louder bass, which unfortunately is not so.
As far as break-in, a friend of mine had this unit for about a year now and he changed his amp to the newer Adcom 7607, i forget which older Adcom he had, but anyway, the bass is still adequate but not at all thunderous...so breaking-in is not an issue. He still uses a sub for the lower portions of the spectrum.
So don't despair, you have yourself an excellent unit, but I think you are looking for louder and more impact producing bass, this unit is just not made for that. Get a nice sub to complement an already outstanding combo.
cheers
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us