Need advice - "Upgrade" Energy Take 5 or start over?

Hello,

I have been a happy Energy Take 5 owner for a few years now. I am using the larger EXLS-10 subwoofer. First post, but have done some reading in this forum and seen what is generally liked/disliked.

I would like to upgrade my speakers. I mostly want to get louder sound out of 2 channel stereo. I also would be interested in better, more room filling 5.1 sound. I am using a Sony STR-DB940 receiver that is a few years old. I don't really plan on replacing it soon.

Are there any front towers available that would match well with the Energy Take 2 center and Take 1 surround speakers + the STR-DB940? Or should I just start from the ground up? Is there anything in the current Energy line that matches well?

I have also been looking at the Athena AS-F2 floorstanding speakers. I have read a lot about them here and like the fact they are easilly obtained at Best Buy (With 24mo no interest right now at $283ea). How would these towers match the Take center and surrounds I currently have? Or should I just go with the entire setup and add the AS-C1 center and surrounds. Speaking of surrounds the review I have from Sound and Vision includes the AS-R1's for the rears. Best Buy doesn't seem to carry them. I would have to choose between the bookshelf AS-B2 (6.5in at $246pr) or the AS-B1 (5.25in at $170pr). Any opinion as to which one I should use for rears? For the price difference I think the AS-B1 would be fine for surround. Opinions?

Finally the sub. I would like more bass then what my Energy EXL-S10 puts out. I have some high catherdral ceilings and a lot of airspace. How much better is the HSU VTF-2 that is raved about on this forum? Is it worth $500 to upgrade over the Energy 10in I have? Also how is the Athena AS-P400. Should it even be considered when the HSU is only $100 more?

Also would going with some of the "higher" Fluance speakers be an upgrade over the Take 5 system? Or are the Energy's better liked?

Well...I decided after reading a bit more on the site to be impulsive and go with the Athenas.

I placed a BB order for the Athena AS-F2 towers, AS-C1 center and the AS-B1 surrounds. I read a number of favorable reviews for the AS-B1's and chose them over the AS-B2. It also had something to do with the fact BB didn't have the AS-B2's in stock.

I pick them up tonight.

I held off on a sub for right now. I will use my Energy EXLS10 for now. I am thinking maybe that will be enough bass since the AS-F2's will put out so much more bass then my tiny Take 1's did. If I get a sub it will be the HSU. Anywhere to get it less then $500.

Best Buy has a $20 off coupon good until the end of the day. So I paid $555 for the AS-F2's, $166 for the AS-B1's and $166 for the AS-C1...plus tax. Total of $950. Best buy will also finance 24 months interest free.

Please post your thoughts - good or bad on this decision.

I can always return them if I don't like them.

Berny
Hi Kevin,
I have the Athena AS-F2 and I am using it with a Kenwood KRF 9070/Outlaw 7100 combo, and I think they sound great. I am kind of stand-offish regarding the Athena AS-C1 centers, because I think that they are too big...let me know how you like them...I might break down and just purchase them later.
I like the AS-b2s better than the b1s, I think they sound a lot cleaner.
I also have the Axiom m60s and the only diffrence I have noted lately is that the bass is a little tighter than the Athenas, but I think it depends on how you like the sound more than anything else. I like them both.
I auditioned the Athena subs and I think they are rather weak, I believe the HSU subs that you are planning on is a great idea.
great deal on the system!
cheers

Derek
I have purchased 3 sets of Take-5 one coupled to the HSU you mentioned mostly because they were the only hi-fidelity speakers that small. I upgraded to the Athena Point 5s and use one of my Take-5 sets on my Computer/bedroom TV.

You could have gone to the Take 5.2, the Athena Point-5s or Paradigm Cinema Series. I don't know, but the Athena F1s sounded better that the F2s to me but with 4-8 inch woofers you realy don't need a sub - you may get more bass but not better bass unless you get something like the HSU or better.

I think you will be fine though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up the Athenas on Friday night. Pretty happy with them so far. They are loud and sound real nice. A couple of questions:

The AS-B1's are MUCH larger then my little Energy rears. No way they are going on my corner shelves. I placed them on the floor behind the listening area. What is the opinion of placing rears on the floor? I thought they sounded pretty good back there. Never tried it with the Energy's. However the bass port is on the back of the AS-B1's and it is sitting right on top of the carpet? Should I try to raise the speaker up an inch or so off the floor so air can get out of the port? Would it matter? I have my STR-DB940's rears set to small. So the bass is being redirected to the sub. I also have the AS-C1 set to small as well. The AS-B2's I have set to large. Right now I have every EQ setting completly flat on the receiver. Waiting a bit before doing any tweaking...but I don't think I am going to have to do much.

Overall I am quite happy with the Athena's. I will be happy when I am through the breakin and I can really crank them up. I will say however it made me appreciate the Energy Take 5's even more. For the price I paid $640 with the 10in sub - It is well worth it. However it was time to move up to better and louder sound. I also can see why the reviews talk about the AS-F2's "dissappearing" into the room. I could sense that more then with any other speaker I have used before.

Thanks for the advice!

Kevin Potter
Also where is the best place (cheapest with good service) to get the HSU VTF2 sub?

Thanks

Derek
Ebay.

Some dealers will send you one for $50 less than the HSU website as well.

Glad to hear you're having fun with your speakers.

Can anyone recommend a "dealer"?

Thanks

Hawk
Kevin:

I think you will find the Athena rears will sound much better (cleaner) if you get them off the floor. They will have more bass while sitting on the floor as the reflections off the floor reinforce the sound, but it will be muddy sounding. Getting them off the floor will clean up their low end. Go to Parts Express for a pair of good speaker stands for about $50 (www.partsexpress.com).

Secondly, Hsu is sold directly at www.hsuresearch.com. You may also try going to Ascend Acoustics, which also sells the Hsu at www.ascendacoustics.com.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us