Yamaha rx-v3300 and magnepans

I just bought a yamaha rx-v3300 and want to get new surround speaker set-up to replace our dated Boston acoustics system (a carryover of my wifes from our single days...i have never liked the sound out of that system)
Anyways, I already own a pair of Magnaplanr full size speakers which due to size constraints will not be able t be incorporated into my home theater. I was thinking about getting the magnepan MGMG1(4) and CC3 with a matched subwoofer. My other option for a speaker system would be the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micros (5) with the powered sub
Will these system work well with this DSP receiver and can someone recommend a sub...
Thanks,
dan

Hawk
dan:

Is the Yamaha rated to handle 4 ohm speakers all the way around? I don't really think so. I was in a Maggie/Yamaha dealer a few months ago and the dealer told me the only Yamaha capable of driving a Maggie Home Theater was the RX-Z1. When I asked about the other Yamahas, he told me no way. You should check on that before proceeding with Maggies as they are all very low impedence (typically 3.9 ohms).

I also looked into the MGMC1 speaker system you are asking about. The problem I had with it was that the MGMC1s only go down to about 80-90hz, making it absolutely necessary to have a sub, even for stereo listening. If you can live with that limitation, it may work for you. Alternatively, are you aware of the MMGs? It is a small floorstander available directly from Magnepan for only $550 a pair, delivered (only 48" tall and 14.5" wide). Awesome sound, and they go down to 50 Hz, so they make a great stereo pair for the front mains.

I have listened to the Gallo speakers and was wholly unimpressed. They look great but the sound is rather poor, IMO. Instead, I would strongly urge you to look into the KEF 2005.2 system, which are among the most beautiful mini-speakers you can ever own, and they sound even better--very accurate and detailed and sound far larger than they are (9" tall). It also comes packaged with a very nice 10" subwoofer and each speaker has a fully articulating wall bracket (which can also be a stand). You can get them from Kiefs for about $1100, which includes the sub (www.kiefs.com for the phone number--ask for Ed at ext. 109). Here is what they look like:

http://www.leconcepts.com/spkr/kef/kht2005.htm

If you want a great stand alone subwoofer to go with a system (particularly the Maggies), look into the Hsu Research VTF-2, which will cost a mere $499, yet is probably the best sub $1K sub out there (designed by the leading sub designer out there--Dr. Hsu). Buy it directly from Hsu Research on their site. See it here:

http://www.hsustore.com/vtf2.html

I hope this is of some help to you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us