SPEAKER EXPERT ADVICE PLEASE (HAWK?)

Could you please help ?

Right - I went wrong somewhere (or right) - I started looking at the KEF 2005.1, then I looked at the Mirage Omnisats (a lot better than the KEF eggs), then I listened to JMLab speakers first the Chorus line then the Cobalt line. I think I doubled (or tripled) my budget requirements. The problem remains - what should I do?

Currently I listen to 80% music and 20% dvd (but that might change in the future).
Seating area is 16x13 (9 ft high) (room is bigger)
No carpet on the floor. No real space for the rear speakers (except for on the ceiling). Can I buy Mirage Omnisats's for the rear and put them on the ceiling ? Is this wise ? Should I do this with the JMLab Sib's - is this wiser ?

I really enjoyed the JMLab Cobalt 826S as front speakers. I'm thinking to buy the NAD T752 (or 762 if required).

To help my budget I also still want to listen to the JMLab Chorus 726S (but the Cobalt 826S was really nice listening).

And ..... should I buy the NAD T752 or the T762 or should I wait and but a newer model ?

Help please ?

I think you and I have looked at the exact same things lately.... I really thought the Cobalt Series were awesome hooked up to an NAD 742, and I am going to get either an NAD 753 or a 762, if I can find one. The cobalt speakers are likely in my future, but I'll have to keep stuffying my piggy bank for a while to get those cobalts.

I agree budget wise it's not what I thought was gonna spend and I might end up doing it in phases - 1st for the cobalt 826S with the receiver and then next year the rest. What do you think about the rest ? Sibs or Omnisats ?

My plan is to go with the 826s for the front, the CC800S for the center, and the SR800S for the surrounds.... I am undecided on the sub because I think I can get a comparable sub for less than the 1100 sticker on the SW800S. I will most likely do it in phases as well. First the fronts and center (use my current surrounds and sub) then the surrounds and subwoofer... depending on cash flow.

Hawk
Tribble:

LOL!! Yes, I think it happens to all of us as we double and then triple our budgets as we hear something we like even better. I have been there!

I have no doubt that the NAD 752 will have plenty of power for either the Cobalt 826S or the Chorus 726S speakers (I have heard the Cobalts driven by a 752). I am not sure what waiting on the new models will accomplish as the new models (7x3) all have revised connectivity, but the sound and the power will be the same.

I have just heard the Cobalt Signatures, which are a revised Cobalt with an entirely new tweeter that is far smoother than the earlier one. I can understand why you like them so much. I have not heard the Chorus Signatures yet, so I can't tell you which is the better bargain, IMO. I do know my local dealer is very excited about the new Chorus line as its price point is one where he thinks he can sell a lot of them.

I don't see any reason why you can't put a pair of OmniSats on the ceiling for your rear surrounds--they should work pretty well with either of the JMlabs used as your mains. You wouldn't want your front speakers on the ceiling, however. Nevertheless, you should be sure to get the matching JMlabs center speaker to match whichever set of mains you get. It is vital that you have a seamless sound across the front, so "timbre matching" in the front is important. It is less important for the rears (this is heresy to some, but true). You may have to experiment somewhat with the positioning of Omnisats on your ceiling. Either the Omnisats or the Sibs will work very well as surrounds. I like them both.

Good luck!

Hawk

thanks for your thoughts on this. I was hoping you would see my question.

I have heard the Chorus 716S but not the 726S yet so I'm hoping (money-wise) that the sound is as good as -or close to- the Cobalt 826S (probably not). At least I won on one point as I got my wife to come with me to the shops and hear the difference between small speakers and real-ones - and she agrees !!! I can ... in fact she 'orders' me to get those bigger front speakers as well !!!

So this weekend I will listen to the Chorus 726S and make a decision on the front speakers.

Great news that you don't think the difference between the front and the rears is a problem - I'll try and find a shop that has both and then I can 'flick' between them to test what I like best. I heard the Omnisats but not the Sib's yet.
I really liked the omnisat sound.

What about a sub ? Do you think I need one? or will the fronts do the work ? I read that a REL Quake II is a good one to have and size-wise it's great as well. Any others I should be looking at?

Hope to 'hear' from you soon!

Anyone listening,
I came across a set of NHT VT 2.4 system with a sizable sub for about $1600 in excellent condition. Does anyone know how this would sound with the T762 that I am ordering this week from Saturday Audio? I have not found the NHT VT 2.4 new in the local stores to listen to, but have read some reviews and noticed that the price is twice what the guy wants for them. Any advice?

Hawk
Tribble:

Congrats on overcoming the WAF hurdle. That is major news.

Subs come in all varieties. REL is one of the very best, but pricey. If you can afford it, I think it is a very good choice. Additional choices are the Hsu Research VTF-3 for $899 and the Velodyne SPL 1200, which is being closed out by Listen Up for $799 (normally $1299). Are these in your price range, or do you want a less expensive sub?

Morning Hawk,

I live in Holland and the REL Quake II is 599 Euro so that's about $716. I did a quick search on internet on the others you mentioned and I did't find them on any Dutch pages but I'll check tomorrow in the shops.

I don't particuarly like the size of the center speaker so I'll also be looking at 5 omnisats (+ the REL sub) for when I watch dvd's and the cobalts when I listen to music. Does this make sense or is this a waste of money and should I re-arrange some furniture to cope with the cobalt center and use the cobalts for watching dvd's as the sound would be better ?

I prefer to do it properly and spend money in steps than to have something I regret later.
Hence my budget goes up and up and .....

Hawk
Tribble:

Good morning to you, my friend! Well again, I suggested some product available here in North America, so that wasn't very helpful, I'm sure. The Hsu Research sub is available over the internet directly from Hsu Research. You may well find the Velodyne there, but I have no idea what is may be priced at in your country. Good sub, though. Your price on the REL is about half what it costs here in the States, so it looks pretty good to me.

I think your plan for the OmniSats for HT and the Cobalts for stereo is an excellent one. I have considered doing the same thing in my house to accomodate both my tastes and those of my wife (who only wants something to help her hear the television). I also think that your audio system should be flexible enough to not rule your house. Keep your furniture the way you like it. It can get difficult accomodating that center speaker.

Enjoy!

Hawk,

Friday afternoon I will 'audition' the chorus 726S in the hope to save some money - so I'll keep you posted on that.

The cost difference of the sets is pretty steep:
NAD T752 - 999 Euro
JMLab Cobalt 826S - 950 Euro (per speaker)
or
JMLab Chorus 726S - 550 Euro (per speaker)

REL Quake II - 599 Euro
JM Lab Sib - 175 Euro (per speaker)
or
Mirage Omnisat - 350 Euro (per speaker)

So on the fronts a total of 800 Euro difference
and on the cinema set a total of 875 Euro difference. Mmmhhh - is it worth it or not ?.

The last thing I would need to complete the set is a DVD / CD player. What do you think should I go for a NAD or something else ? Should I go for something that plays everything or should I go for a seperate DVD and a seperate CD player ?

Ooooh decisions decisions.

Hawk
Tribble:

I would wait a bit on the DVD player because NAD is coming out with their T533, which will not only do DVDs and CDs, but will also playback DVD-Audio disks. Always have to keep an eye on the future! I think you will find the 533 will playback CDs with ease and aplomb (just like its predecessor, the 532 does), but it will allow you to playback DVD-Audio disks that appears to be gaining some ground to become the new standard. It will save you some money in the long run to wait on this player. Most of the competition (DVD-A players) is priced about twice what the T533 is going to be priced at.

This player should be out right after the first of the year, I am told--you should check with your local dealer to see what the timetable is for your area, however. I have noticed that these products usually hit Europe before they are released here in the States.

Hawk
Tribble:

I would wait a bit on the DVD player because NAD is coming out with their T533, which will not only do DVDs and CDs, but will also playback DVD-Audio disks. Always have to keep an eye on the future! I think you will find the 533 will playback CDs with ease and aplomb (just like its predecessor, the 532 does), but it will allow you to playback DVD-Audio disks that appears to be gaining some ground to become the new standard. It will save you some money in the long run to wait on this player. Most of the competition (DVD-A players) is priced about twice what the T533 is going to be priced at.

This player should be out right after the first of the year, I am told--you should check with your local dealer to see what the timetable is for your area, however. I have noticed that these products usually hit Europe before they are released here in the States.

Thanks Hawk,
well I called around and the JMLab Chorus 726S is no-where to be found but one of the shops is getting them in for me so I can listen to it at the end of next week. So in the meantime I'll start reading everything about the dvd/cd/sacd players.

Did you by any chance ever listen to the Mirage Omni 260 or 250 ? The bigger brothers of the Omnisats ?

Sorry I forgot another question ? Can you mount the JMLab Sib's to the ceiling instead of the wall or is that not a good idea ?

Just to let you know I ordered the following;

fronts: JM Lab Cobalt 826S
center: JM Lab Cobalt CC800
rears: JM Lab Sib (on stands)
receiver : NAD T752
player: Pioneer 565A (DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD)

I'll receive this in about 10 days. So I'll keep you posted.

Hawk
Looking forward to it!

Tribble,
I am very much looking forward to your review of your system as it is very similiar to what I am considering. Also, if possible, let me know how you "broke in" the JM Labs as I have been told this is a bit of a long process. Good luck, you are one step ahead of me!

Today is the day that they will install it all !!

Username: Tribble1

Post Number: 1
Johnyness,
sorry about the delay.
As from day one I loved the sound of it.
Breaking it in I did by attaching a 200cd player to it and I basically listened to a lot of my cd's again. I know they say the sound will improve but I loved it from the first minute so .... if it gets even better -great! The
minute I get home I switch it on and I only stopped my 'jukebox' if I
watched a dvd so ....

Hope you will love the sound as well.
(I never listened to PSB so I can't compare)

Next phase is to see if I need a sub or not. I haven't listened to one yet
so I'm not missing it yet.

Have fun testing the JMLabs.

HAWK
a big THANK YOU for your advice on the JMLabs. I really hadn't heard of them before so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us