Buying a subwoofer. Please help:)

UNICRON-WMD
Hi, about 6 years ago I built my HT and I have been happy with it until now. I have never felt I had the need for a sub but I finally want one. In the past, I had my mind set on Cambridge SoundWorks 12" 140 watt sub. I heard it and I thought it was a great sub and in the time I was auditioning subs, I heard between 10-20 sub. I found this one to be in the top 3 with the BEST price. V LOUD, very clean and very deep!!! Well, it turns out, I just never bought a sub(mainly because I never felt I had the need)

Anyways, now that I am upgrading my system, I want one(just to have one). Now I am wondering, what do you guys think of any of Cambridge SoundWorks Subwoofers? Have any of you heard them in person? I can get the Newton Series 12S Powered Subwoofer for $190.

THX,
WMD

P.S.
Don't be afraid to be honest:D

UNICRON-WMD
Thanks guys hehehehehe :P

OK, what about the HK 12 150 watt 12" subwoofer? Have your heard it, is it ok? Thanks for ALL your help.

UNICRON-WMD
:)

UNICRON-WMD
I can do this all dat:)

UNICRON-WMD
DAY<------:)

CA
There are two major considerations:

(1) usage of HT vs. music.

For HT, the bass QUALITY is not as important as QUANTITY. get any sub with big woofer, ports and lots of power. I have a PSB Image Subsonic6, which is ok for HT. I've heard lots of good words about REL, Velodyne, and Yamaha subs. You might want to google them.

For music, you want more quality -- tightness, fast, articulate, .... Try closed enclosure subs.
One to recommend, REL Strata III. normally sell used around $900 on Audiogon. Very good for HT as well.

(2) budget. well not much to say here -- it all depends on you.

Regards,

CA

G-Man
It is nigh impossible to get a REAL subwoofer for $200 that doesn't have severe flaws in playing 30 Hz and lower without having high distortion and/or low volume output.

Try going to audiogon.com and see if you can get a used HSU VTF-2 (lists new at $499) or maybe a PSB subsonic 5 (lists at around $450-but can be bought new online at around $350). These are two of the best cheaper subwoofers that actually perform as a subwoofer, without giving you high distortion when playing loud at lower Hz's. Not that there aren't some good used SVS's that aren't excellent and some more expensive Paradigm's you might be lucky enough to find at a cheap price used.

Most cheap subs mostly play very low midrange--from 40Hz to 150Hz which can give the impression of being a good working sub until they are called upon to do real performance work at what a sub should actually be doing--playing 35 Hz and lower at 95 db minimum with less than 4-5% distortion.Almost all these less than $250 subs fail at giving satisfactory volume with acceptably low distortion below 35 Hz. Can't blame them--it is tough to do--particularly with small subs. Robert Carver can do it--but his small subs cost a lot.

Anonymous
I have 3 12" cerwin-vega hed subwoofers and 1 15inch rockford punch Z. will this give me good hard hitting bass or or do i need better subs.

UNICRON-WMD
THX G-MAN!!!

I have heard a lot of good things about HSU subs. I am looking at HSU VTF-2 or the STF-3. I also read a few good things about Cambridge SoundWorks Newton P1000 and M&Ks V-125. I'll let you know what I get.

WMD

timn8ter
SVS

Username: Dtimps

Post Number: 1
have you tried the definitive technology supercube I or II yet?? VERY impressive
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us