B&K AVR-307 with 4-Ohm vs. 8-Ohm speakers + choices

Hello all - please help. OK: AVR307 (150Wx7) receiver, two 12" SVS CS+ subs run by additional 700W amp, Boston Acoustics VR10 center, BA CR9s, CR8s, CR4s, 53" TV. I'm 59% movies, 41% music. The CR4s did a fair job for what they were, but my tastes and ears soon evolved. Bought the bookshelf CR9s (8" driver) and moved the CR8s (7" driver) to the back. That way, I get to toss the CR4s and I finally have something decent for 4/5 channel stereo. Well, the fourth day I had the CR9s, I really REALLY cranked everything. With the sound waves pounding me, POP! ...silence. Changed fuse at panel in the next room and discovered I had blown the woofer driver on one of the new CR9s. With money being an issue, I now have the pathetic set-up of CR9/CR8 mains and CR8/CR4 surrounds, and have lived like this for well over a year. NO MORE!!!
I must acquire a pair of speakers, and was hoping some of you good folks might help me out. One option would be to have the CR9 fixed, but that's gonna cost me probably $100. The CR bookshelf's do an adequate job, but I love the VR tweeter in my center, so VR tweeters would make me happier (except I don't know if I want to spend the $$$ for VRM-50s or 60s). I wouldn't mind having a GREAT pair for 2.1 audio, but with everything below 80Hz (I can adjust that, btw) going to the 12s, don't want to waste the money on three way, unless it's not a waste. Best small speakers I've ever heard are B&W Nautilus 805s, but no funds. I know someone with some Boston VR floor speakers, but they are four-Ohm speakers and everything else I use are eight. Are those a good option? Bad option? Any speakers worth recomending? Thanks in advance,

Nick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us