Speakers for marantz 7300ose?

Jazz Jam
I recently purchased a Marantz 7300OSE, my JBL's and AR's never sounded so good, and a I feel like I'm hearing my jazz collection for the first time in its full breadth. Now I'm ready to move on to better speakers and seeking advice. My budget is $800 for a pair and center speaker (I will be relegating AR's for surround and JBL's for another room). My living room is 12" X 15" and opens to small dining area as well. Speakers will be in the middle of the long wall, carpetted room.

Hawk, I respect your opinion and infact my decision to go with the Marantz was very heavily influenced by your writings on this forum. I will "give back" by providing a full review of the Marantz 7300OSE when I get a bit more comfortable with the vocabulary and lingo I need to articulate what I feel from the sound (english is not my first language). Right now I'm extremely happy with it.

Hawk, I have seen you recommend PSB Image 1B's, would these work and/or would the PSB 3LR work well for me?

Hawk
Jazz:

Glad you are enjoying your new receiver. It is a sweet one.

I have a better solution than the PSBs. Check out the NHT SB-3 speakers for your mains and the matching NHT SC-1 for your center. MSRP for both the SB-3s and the SC-1 is $300 each. However, at Kief's (www.kiefs.com), you can get them for ~$235 each. That is well under your budget, and these little gems have more detail and accuracy than the PSBs ever dreamed of (the PSBs are a very good speaker, but not this good). Very good bass extension, too, as they are rated down to 38 Hz. Here is a link to the SB-3s on the One Call website FYI:

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_12246.htm

Your Marantz receiver has the power to drive these NHTs and they will fill your room easily. You will not believe the improvement over your old speakers, especially with that receiver. I have heard this combo (Marantz 7300 w/SB-3s) and it is quite good. Stereophile was so impressed they made them their new reference bookshelf speaker. HIGHLY Recommended!

dave
Hawk,

Thanks for the advice to us newbies.

I am looking into purcasing the 7300ose also. Just to make sure I listen to a good selection of speakers, what other makes should I be considering for this receiver. The price range... $1.5K - $2K

Thank you!

Jazz Jam
Hawk,

Thanks much for your very specific and detailed recoomendation, I'm probably going to get these.

One last follow-up question: Would your recommend getting a sub-woofer or is the bass suffcient from these? I live in San Francisco in an apt. building so blasting high with lots of bass is out of the question, and I have a 9 month old. Was wondering if I can get by without a sub and if not any ideas for a small sub?

Thanks in advance.

Hawk
Jazz:

I have lived in a SF apartment, so I understand the problem very well (lived on the Bay side of Telepgraph Hill)!

I think you will find the SB-3s will have enough bass for most listening. The sub would be a bonus, but if you want a very good sub for little money, check out a PSB Subzero-i. You can get a refurb'ed and or factory blem Subzero-i from DMC Electronics for $219.00, I believe (www.dmc-electonics.com). You can also get a new one from Kief's for about $235-240 and have a choice in the finish (www.kiefs.com). You would also avoid the sales tax buying from Kief's so the price differential is very close.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us