Torn! Bronze 5.1 system vs. 2 Gold Ref 10's

Anonymous
Dilemma. Need opinions. Want to buy speakers that compliment a new Pioneer Elite 45. (Brand new in box $599 + shipping. Hi-fi Heaven in Appleton, WI. Guy there named Jim had a few more left. Found it through Audiogon). Listened to Bronze Tower 4's at the hi-fi store matched up with an Elite55, and was pretty impressed with them. Liked the sound much better than the similarly-priced Boston Acoustics. Better than the Klipsch, too. They're fine for a little while but... I'm also impressed with the B2's - especially the B 2's actually. But I made the mistake of listening to the bookshelf Gold Reference 10's afterwards and the way they sounded just blew me away.

So now I'm in a funk! I can't help but consider buying a pair of GR10's instead of a 5.1 Bronze system because of the incredible quality of sound. Would be about the same amount of money. $1500. I can live without movie theater sound for awhile. Definitely more of a music lover. Does anyone have a thought on whether these two little gold nuggets will fill a 12 x 18 room sufficiently? It seemed to fill the auditioning room well and it was perhaps a third larger than mine, but I'd love to hear opinions that are more objective than my own are at the moment. Thanks!

Hawk
This is a no brainer, IMO. GET THE GOLDS! You will never be happy with the Bronze speakers now that you have heard the Golds and you can always add to them later (a Gold Reference Center and I would even get the Bronze 1 or 2s for your surrounds to save a few bucks).

Your room is a good size, but the Golds will do fine with sufficient power. I think your PE 45 should drive them just fine.

Anonymous
Hawk: My practical side says just go with the bronze, you'll settle in with 'em just fine - but my ears are telling me otherwise. Bottom line is.. I want a system I can be happy with for many years to come (until I'm too old to lift this 45!) so I'm going to follow my ears and get the Golds. Probably today. Thanks for weighing in, really appreciate it. These posting boards have been very very helpful.

Hawk
Always trust your own ears! Glad I could help. I must admit I am a bit jealous--those are fine speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us