What about Acoustic Research speaker?

Merlin
I almost never heard anyone talk about AR speaker? Only thing I hear around here is Paradigm, Def Tech, or Klipsch. What up about Ar speaker line? AR Hi-Res is arguing one of the best speaker to date. Read this review http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/acousticresearch_hi_res.htm and this http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_118986_2743crx.aspxand AR HC6 can compete head to head on highly rate Energy Take 5.2 and many people agree that AR HC6 is one of the best speaker system under $1000 price range. Please read the review http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/acousticresearch_hc6.htm What do you think?

I know that Paradigm, Def Tech, B&W, and Klipsch are the favorite here but AR should be one among them too. Come on this company has been around since 1947. They got to be good otherwise they can't survive this long.

Mark

Quote:

They got to be good otherwise they can't survive this long.

Explain Bose. :)

Merlin
Dear Mark

"No low and no high is Bose." Their marketing team must be very good and they spend a lot of money on their advertising more than develop the porduct. Is that answer your question?:)

Mark
Actually, the phrase is "No highs, no lows, must be bose." I prefer blose, but they're both true. :) Just shows how gullible J6P can be.

Allen
Hi Merlin

Pls check out www.jackarhifi.com, the sound quality and finishings and the price ratio beat all the top brand speakers. Plus they started since 1970. If it wasn't good enough how can they survive for so long, just not well marketed as the more famous known brands.

Merlin
Hey Allen

I check the website that you want me to look. Well, the speakers look really good but I have one question for you. Do you have them at home? and how is the sound? I have never seen anyone reviews these speakers.

I believe ARs parent company (recoton) got bought out by another company earlier this year (audiovox possibly?) so I think the AR Hi-Res line is very hard to come by.

However, I have AR speakers, 310HO for font l&r (the predecessor to the Hi-Res AR-9) and a AR2C for a centre speaker. I also have a pair of 206HOs (prececessor to AR15/AR17) but haven't hooked them up. They sound very good to me, although I didn't do a lot of comparison shopping when I bought them. I picked the 310HOs several years ago when a local audio shop was going under along with an HK AVR30 pro-logic receiver for stereo listening. They sounded much better than anything else in that price range at that store. I recently purchased a NAD T742 digital receiver and got a AR AR2C centre speaker on ebay. This combination is even better as the NAD really brings out the bass much more than the HK. The AR 310s sound much better than the T742 with paradigm bookshelves and a small sub that I demod the receiver with in the store.

I have recently inherited a pair of Teledyne Acoustic AR 9 speakers. I would like to sell them but have no idea of value. All I know is that they weigh a ton. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jerry
I must say, Bose has made one good speaker I love for the price. The 141. Normal price is $129, but Fry's and Circuit City both sell them on occasion for $50-60. That's when I buy them. They use a single 5" full range with a fancy bass port. I have suggested them for many people bought them for them when they go on sale and they all thank me very much. For $50 you will not find a better speaker.

Anyone know eher I can find an AR-2C? I have the AR-3 mains and would love to match them up!

Smitty
Steve,

Keep checking eBay, I picked one up in the spring for US$260. They seem to show up every month or two, as well as the AR-4C model. You might also want to contact info@abtechservices.com, they repair AR speakers and might have some inventory.

hogana@wyeth.com
I have a set of AR-17 that require refoaming. Is it reasonable to refoam this model and who can reliably do the job?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us