Paradigm Studio 20v3-front ported now??

Paul T
I've seen at Paradigm's site the new Studio 20 version 3's are out and looks like they are ported it in the front unlike the version 2's which were rear ported.. Has anyone seen them yet and is this true or is there also a port in the rear... very important since they will be "truely" bookshelf speakers and rear ports will add some boominess to any speaker..

Paul T
I'll answer my own question since I got to see them today (took an hour ride to feed my audio addiction :) and curiosity,just had to know since I just found out yesterday the v3's were available ) They are now front ported .... they certainly did change the speakers and also the price :) .. I loved the Studio v2's but being there were going into a bookcase the rear porting knocked them out of the water (booming effect with rear porting when placed in a bookcase).. Looks like I found a winner here!!

Hawk
PaulT:

I was intrigued by your post so I went into my local Paradigm dealer today while my car was being serviced. I obviously had a lot of time to listen! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the Studio 20s. I do think they are improved over the old v2s.

However, I would suggest another speaker if you are going to put these in a bookcase. Check out the NHT M-5s. They do not go quite as low as the Studio 20s, but they are even more detailed and a bit cleaner, as well. Most of all, they are the only speaker I know of designed to go in a bookcase (the on-line owners manual even shows them in this configuration). They have some kind of switch on the back called a "boundary switch" meant to be used when the speaker is in close proximity to walls or when mounted in shelves. It changes the frequency response to account for the refraction and reinforcement a speaker gets when placed in close proximity to hard surfaces. I did not try it out as the dealer had them mounted in open space, but the concept intrigues me.

I spent a couple of hours last week checking them out and I really liked what I heard. See what you think.

Paul T
Hawk your a good man!! Thanks so much for taking the time to check out the Paradigms... I checked the specs online and unfortunately the NHT M-5s will not fit into the space .. almost 18" high :( .... Going to hear the Paradigms again today, maybe I can talk them into putting them into the same configuration as I plan on using to see how they do.... thanks again Hawk.. let you know how I make out..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us