Some advice for upgrading my NAD C350 amplifier

Josep
Hello,
I have got the following stereo equipment :
NAD C350 Amp
AE505 loudspeakers

I would apreciate some advice about which component should I add to my NAD stereo amplifier in order to have Dolby,DTS ... etc. Just thinking in Home theatre without losing my stereo amplifier.
Thanks a lot.

Hawk
For Home Theater, you really need much more than you have, primarily a preamp processor (also known as a "pre/pro") along with at least three more amplified channels for 5.1 sound (I assume here that the pre/pro would have a subwoofer out for the ".1").

You can buy a pre/pro, but I have not seen one for less than $800 (the Outlaw Audio 950). Beyond the Outlaw, the price jumps to about $1500. For the $800 cost of the Outlaw, you could buy an entirely new receiver, which will also have the extra amplified channels which if purchased as a separate amp would cost you a minimum of $500-600. So, it really makes far more sense to replace your integrated amp with an AV receiver in order to get a Home theater system.

Since you seem to like your NAD integrated (very understandable as it is an excellent integrated amp), I would suggest an NAD 752, which can be obtained for about $700 while they are still in stock. At some time shortly, the 752 will be replaced by the 753 which will cost a bit more money.

Josep
Thanks a lot Hawk.
I will really consider your advice about NAD 752.

I have also been checking which pre/pro amps. have two analog output for my integrated NAD. I have only found the Yamaha DSPE800. The reviews are quite good ... what do you think ? Would it be a good choice ? There are any other similar choices ?

Thanks.

Hawk
Josep:

I cannot find any information on that Yamaha product, so I cannot help you.

Josep
Hello Hawk :
please check this link, there is the review of that product :

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/frame.html?http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Processors/Yamaha/YamahaDSP-E800.shtml

Thanks a lot.

G-Man
Having read the Yamaha blurb, I would definitely prefer getting the Outlaw Audio receiver at $499. It has a better power supply that can even drive 4 ohm speakers and gives you a very good AM/FM tuner with 32 presets, which is missing from the Yamaha. While neither set-up has component video or Dolby Prologic II, at least the Outlaw has a Zoran Processor that allows you to alter Dolby and THX 5.1 surround programming to get a 6.1 surround (if you should ever choose to get a center rear speaker)--plus the Outlaw has a 6th discrete amp to drive that 6th speaker. It also has a backlit well-designed remote. Plus it is built like a tank. It is one of those products that one rarely sees---a bargain of an engineering marvel. If it had Dolby Prologic II and component video I doubt there would be a receiver under $1,000 that could posssibly compete with the quality you get at the price.

The only potential downside for you is that I presume you live in the UK--meaning that Outlaw Audio would have to ship there and you would have to talk with or e-mail them first about the logistics of shipping and electrical compatibility.

You wouldn't even need the amp you have now--meaning you could put it in a bedroom or another room and have another stereo--or you could sell it.

Hawk
Josep:

Are you here in the United States?

Josep
Hello Hawk and G-Man,
it is true that I like british sound, but I am from Barcelona, Spain.

Regarding the Outlaw receiver, I will keep it in mind, but the main problem about Outlaw is that only sells online. So I cannot personally compare the stereo sound of the Outlaw receiver with my NAD C350. Have you ever compared them ? I am really happy with the stereo sound of my equipment, and I am afraid of losing stereo quality sound with a receiver oriented to Home theater.

Please any other advice or suggestions are really welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Josep

G-Man
I have heard the Outlaw receiver numerous times as my next door neighbors son owns it. I haven't heard the NAD C350, but have heard similarly powered NAD receivers. The Outlaw has excellent amplification and is at least its equal.

I have heard the Outlaw receiver playing stereo on my neighbor's Monitor Audio Bronze 2's---sound very good. Maybe I will bring over my two ProAc Response 2's this weekend and see how they sound. I predict---great---but will soon find out.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us