Which amp do I choose for my new speakers?

Username: Nightranger1964

Post Number: 1
I desperately need some guidance and help here in deciding which amp I should pair up with my UsherCP-6381 speakers.The Ushers are rated at 87db sensitivity and have a continuous power handling of 150w.I currently have a Cary CAD88SEI single-ended tube integrated rated at 20w/ch.I had the Cary first which was my first venture into tubes but at the time had a pair of Klipsch Belle speakers at 103db sensitivity.Wasn't overly impressed with Klipsch sound so I went for the Ushers.Sound is a lot better ,more detailed etc. but I still am not satisfied at the fullness,bass or volume that they are putting out and you will have to excuse me as I am a bit of a novice here but I believe the amp is just not feeding the Ushers the power they are hungering for.Could someone maybe suggest a good amp,preferably an integrated that might mate well here and give me that tube like sound but more fullness and volume.Thank you so much.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14460

Coming from the Belle Klipsch to the Usher is still quite a change in perspective. "Fullness, bass and volume" are going to be dramatically different between the two speakers.

Using your 20 watt Cary into the Klipsch should have provided all the "volume" you would care for. Stepping down from the Klipsch's 104dB to the Usher's 87dB is the equivalent of reducing your twenty watt amp to a mere 1/2 watt in comparison. That will take some getting used to in anyone's estimation. So, while 87dB is not vastly inefficient in today's market that says more about today's market than it does to your situation. Comparing speaker to speaker you are now using a table radio to drive the Ushers - and a very small table radio at that.

Also in need of some readjustment of priorities would be the difference between the Klipsch's 15" horn loaded bass driver with what appears to be the Usher's reflex loaded 8" woofer. That's the equivalent of getting out of the Peterbuilt and into the Subaru.

This is from the 6 Moons review of the Usher, "There they sounded absolutely superb, among the best to ever grace that room. Honestly. While they didn't plumb the lowest half-octave of bass, they were very solid down to around 30Hz, usually plenty of depth. On both movie and concert DVDs, the bass was nicely balanced, very articulate and completely satisfying." http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/usher/6381.html

While not a definitive review by any means I have to think you are at this point comparing speakers to speakers and not speakers to a music reference. Or, you purchased the wrong speaker for your amp now that it has been reduced to the equivalent of 1/2 watt - which is the same as comparing speaker to speaker.

Did you audition the Usher before purchase? If so, which amplifier was being used? How much wattage did it boast?

The 6 Moons review used Bryston amps though I would somewhat hestitate to refer to Bryston as "tube like".

Why not just buy another tube amp with higher wattage? Or a "tube like" solid state amp?

How much cash is available for this purchase?

Post Number: 2
Thanks Jan for your very helpful response.I did not have a chance to audition the Ushers but I fully realized it may not be enough watttage or current to drive these new speakers.I was willing to take a chance as I was prepared to "remodel" the entire system around these new speakers that from reading all the reviews seemed to possess the sound I was looking for.And they were definitely pleasing but did not hit the mark in the areas mentioned and for the reasons you gave.So now I need a new amp,no question about it.The big problem is there are not any shops I can go to to actually hear the equipment so I exhaustively traverse through all of the reviews and forums looking for that perfect match.I have been looking at older Conrad Johnson tube separates,Krell integrateds,Naim,Creek,Macintosh and many others.As I said my looking means reading the reviews as always seeing them is rarely feasible.Looking in the used market also so long term reliability is also a factor.I listen to mostly classic rock like Genesis,Floyd,NeilYoung ,Dire Straits ,as well as softer,easy listening stuff.Like to play it loud at times,also like it to sound good at low volumes and I want to feel it.Other music like Steely Dan and Chicago would best describe my musical tendencies.Help!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 820
is a tube pre and SS amp a solution?
Would that give Paul the tube sound he wants?

Some people think that would be a good way to get some tube warmth, whatever that is.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14463

I can't tell you which amplifier to buy. There may be others on this forum who do that sort of thing but I just don't, there are IMO too many variables. Additionally, I think buying audio gear - particularly expensive audio gear - without ever hearing it is not the best way to build a system.

All the brands you mention are good products and might suit your needs. I would suggest you read the first post in this thread before you make a decision; https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/612804.html

Username: Esowden

Richmond, KY

Post Number: 5
Paul - you're off to a good start. You have an idea as to what you're looking for tone-wise.

Research the amps the same way you did the speakers. You may not hit on the perfect combination at first but the great thing about our hobby is there is always someone looking to buy or sell used equipment. Most of it is in excellent shape. It gives you the opportunity to hear what's out there. Keep it if you like it -- sell it if you don't.

I have two different systems - my "new" stuff and my "used" stuff. By experimenting with different "used" equipment I've been able to find what I like and apply that knowledge to my main (new) system. It's been my experience that while it may not be the best, it still sounds pretty damn good.

It's all about the listening experience. If it sounds good to you - mission accomplished.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14465
Paulie, I still have the vintage Mac twins...

Post Number: 3
Hey "Nuck""...how's it going? Do you think that Mac combo would sound better than perhaps that Naim Nait 5i I was considering...if so I wouldn't mind giving her a try.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14472
Better is subjective, Paul, but the Mac will sound very different than the Naim, that's for sure!

Post Number: 4
Nuck...which one,the Naim or Mac will give me more volume,bass and midrange clarity?What is the asking price?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14473
Paul, send me an email and we can set up a demo
Didn't you demo an Arcam from Roger a while back?
What did you think?

Post Number: 6
Hey Nuck,lost your e-mail address so I will have to wait for you to respond here.Did you get mine?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14486
Paulie, send me a PM
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us