Athena or NHT setup for home theater?

Anonymous
I am a newbie to HT in general and I was suckered into buying a Bose setup so now I want to upgrade. I have a very small media room (about 8ft x 9ft) and would use the speakers 90% for tv and dvd. I pretty much decided on a HK 525 for the receiver and have read here that either Athena or the NHT will be a good match for it, so here are my questions:

1. Given my size of the room, would floorstanding speakers be overkill because I was thinking of getting the Athena AS-F2, AS-C1, and AS-B1 setup.

2. If floorstanding speakers are overkill, which of the following setup is better for the HK:

Athena AS-B2, AS-B1, and AS-C1 or
NHT SB-2, SB-1, and SC-1

3. Can I temporarily use my Bose subwoofer with these speakers?

4. Finally, can I match the SB-2's with Superones or Superzeroes for the back since Onecall has those on sale?

Sorry for the many questions. Thanks in advance for your advice on this.

Hawk
Anon:

1. Good choices. You do have a small room, so yes, the floorstanders would be overkill. Speakers need room to breathe.

2. I lean toward the NHTs myself, but either is a good choice. Actually, I would be inclined to go a little smaller, like for the Athena Point 5 system or the KEF 2005.2 system for your room.

3. I don't know about using the Bose sub as they are inconsistent about how they wire their speaker systems. You could with some, but not others. Another problem is that the Bose are not a subwoofer, but is in fact the woofer for the Bose system, so even if you could wire it, I don't think you will like the results. Conversely, if you get the Point 5 or KEF systems, they come with a sub.

4. If you go with the SB-2s, I would get the SuperZeroes for your surrounds. In fact, you may want to consider the One Call Home Theater Special of 5 SuperZeros and a Phase Tech subwoofer for less than $600 and forego a larger system. It is a super deal and a very good system, perfect for that size room. Then, later on, if you moved to a bigger room, you could simply upgrade by buying new main speakers, like the SB-2s.

Anonymous
Thanks for the advice, Hawk. So in your opinion, the Superzeroes would sound just as nice as the SB-2's and the Athenas for my room? If that is the case, I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us