Amps for Small Speakers?

Username: Subterraneus

Post Number: 1
If I were to buy these mini speakers: http://bit.ly/4ILGap and wanted to hook them up to an iPod, what kind of amp would I need, or would I not need any at all? I've only worked with large speakers that need serious amplification, and I have no idea what I'm doing when I drop below 100W. Also, can these speakers really deliver 83 dB?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14416

The specs say "0.5 watt max". For the most part you can't buy 1/2 watt amplifiers.

These are raw drivers meant to be used as replacement drivers. What are you trying to do with this hookup?

Post Number: 2
Honestly? I want to hack them into a ski helmet (pointing out, not in) and they've got a mounting depth of a 3/4" to make that easy. Everything else I've run up against has a depth of 2, 3 inches.

Yes, I realize the safety hazards if this were actually to be used for skiing, that's not the intent, don't worry about that. Any recommendations on what kind of speaker/amp combo I could use would be really appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 777
I'm not even going to ask.
Nuttiness is my department.

If portable, and why else would you want speakers in a ski helmet?,
get a T-amp, wear batteries in a pack at your waist.

Have you got source figured out yet? Its gotta make some noise, right? Maybe a 'pod with the files you want?

Post Number: 3
I'm thinking iPod, wired up to this amp heading into these speakers

How does that idea sound to people who know better than me?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3538
What about a plate amp, with shoulder straps like a back pack?

Post Number: 4
Would a plate amp really be portable? All the ones I'm seeing are huge and require mains power...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3542
Well, you'd need two, since they're usually mono, and a really, really long extension cord. Two extension cords, actually.

Post Number: 5
Oh, well, that's perfect then, I'll sent away for some presently!

Anyway...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3545
Just having fun Eric.

Is the helmet going to be used just as decoration, or will you be mobile with it? If it's the latter, then Leo's reply is the most practical.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 783
Do we get a hint as to the (ultimate) purpose?
If it is to be worn on a ski slope, I don't want to know.....

Is it patentable? If it IS, I want IN and forget #2, above.

't' amp you ref is good especially since choices in this category are so limited.

The speaker, however, should be used in major multiples. Since this will only be a grin and marginally functional.....your first drunken ski slope spill and this thing is TOAST, you can and should make an array of at least 4 or 5 speakers per side, wired in such a way (series / parallel) to keep the impedance from dropping below 4 ohms.

If it gets too heavy, you will need a chin strap, and for Pete's sake, start getting that neck in shape. See the local college or HS Wrestling coach for some exercises. I would suggest some front and back bridges.

Your mother will be proud.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3547
A 45 lb plate on a folded towel on the head works wonders on the neck too, coming from an ex-wrestler.

In university we strapped things to helmets too, but they were usually beer cans.

Post Number: 6
David, I knew you were kidding after the second post, I haven't used plate amps much, so I didn't get the joke immediately. And yeah, I'm going mobile with it, definitely.

Leo, Long story short it just so happens that the technical theater crowd and ski teams at my school line up on more than a couple members. Also, would it really take 8 speakers total to make this worthwhile? 2 or 4 wouldn't do it?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 784
I don't know how many speakers it'll take, or how many that little 't' amp will drive.
outside, you'll need more / louder than in a normal sized room.
On a stage? anyones guess.

Experiment is in order.

Post Number: 7
Well, I'm going to go with 4, it's the most I can reasonably shove in that poor helmet. I wish I could add in a sub and a tweeter to round it out, but the sub won't fit on a person conveniently/aesthetically, and I wouldn't know how to wire the tweeter into the audio circuit, unless I made it take only left or right audio alone, which could be more than a little...wrong.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14424

You still haven't told us why you want to do this? What's the point other than to say you mounted raw drivers on a helmet. Why do you want to mount drivers on a helmet? To what end? What are you trying to accomplish?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 788
Jan, this is obviously a Fraternity Stunt. 'member?

But, if there is a patentable idea here, I want IN.

Eric. I insist you post a photo of the final product. Get a good looker to model it for you. If this goes viral, we should be ready to buy everyone of those little speakers and a carload of the 't' amps.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 789
the big hint here is
'technical theater crowd' and 'ski teams'.

The intersection of these 2 subsets is some kind of contest on the local slopes.

Post Number: 8
When I said "teams" I meant teams. The nordic ski team has been pulling all sorts of crap, this is part of a larger response. I'll post photos when it's done. And if one of the more foolhardy guys decided to take it out on the slopes there may even be video.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14427

Eric, you are a master of not answering a question.

I was trying to determine whether what you think is going to happen actually stands a chance of happening. Having two degrees in technical theater I know not everything that can be dreamed up is actually workable.

Post Number: 9
Jan, I grew up with sisters, not answering a question is a survival skill for me. The fact is, if it doesn't work, I've got a T-Amp (aw, hell yes) and either some blown out speakers with magnets I can still fool with (who's up for making the new techs wind them into a junkyard motor?) or some serviceable speakers to be pressed into another job. That and a busted up ski helmet, but, well, it's not mine, it's a friend's spare so...whoops. And that's just if it doesn't work.

If it does, I have a get a degree in ridiculosity, and the alpine team gets some fun...Plus, a speaker-helm, which is no doubt an awesome hunka junk in one way or another.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 790
Jan, know any more than you did before?

Parts is parts.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14431
"Jan, know any more than you did before?"

I know Eric's professors must love him.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 795
Nah, this is expected behavior for a PolySci major with a minor in Theater Arts.

good comeback, though.
Eric obviously belongs to the FAA......Future Attorneys of America
Organization motto? " Fly High or Go Home!"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us