Dim Display on Bose Lifestyle 30

Username: Dmelcher52

Post Number: 1
I have a Bose Lifestyle 30 series II receiver with a very dim display. Everything else works including the CD magazine that so many others are having problems with. Can anyone help me with this one? I used to work on TVs some time ago so I have all the tools needed.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14413
Is the display a backlit unit or an electroluminescent type?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14414
If it is an EL, then you need to check the power supply. It is likely a 12 or 15v supply, which powers the display only, so no other functions are affected.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14379

Is this the only problem with the unit? Or is there something else that goes along with the display issue? If it is only a dim display, then you might have a "dim" setting on the unit that is engaged.

Post Number: 2
Let me update. The receiver itself is a Lifestyle 20 but the system is a 30 because of the small cube speakers I bought with it back in '99. This does appear to be the only problem. I called Bose and there is no adjustment for intensity like the wave radio has depending on surrounding lighting conditions. Mr. Nuck I am not sure which lighting technique is used here, Any clues you can offer would really be appreciated. On one of those paying websites they mention a slew of capacitors that appear to be the culprit.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14422
I am not putting forth a complicated repair, Don, just to measure the voltage to the display.
I do not recommend poking around any further than you are comfortable with, and power supply is pretty much the vitals for any unit.
If online payment is the bottom line, then ditch the bose or listen to it in the dark?

You can do much better than Bose, IMHO.

Post Number: 3
Is there a way to differentiate between the two lighting methods? Are there obvious test points to check the voltage to the display?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14397

A backlit display has lamps - light bulbs - behind the panel and the panel is typically silkscreened or opened up to allow the lamps' illimination to show through. Flourescent or LED displays are self contained and where you could replace a lamp in a backlit display the second type requires replacing the entire display system.

I've never seen a Bose unit with a backlit display as they have grown out of fashion over the last few decades.

You seem to have your answer from the Bose and the pay as you play website. If the display operates at all, it is extremely unlikely the display is faulty and it can be restored to full intensity with some repairs to the voltage control devices which feed the display. It would seem logical there are capacitors and probably a resistor or two that have drifted away from their original spec and are now supplying less voltage to the display itself. If you've repaired TV's you should be aware that most problems of this sort do not come down to a single component which needs replacement. Resistors feed caps and caps are placed in series to achieve a specified value. Replacing one fauty cap doesn't mean there aren't other components up or down stream that also need repair.

I would take the advice you've been given on the pay site and, if you think this is something you can repair without getting yourself in trouble, then try what you can get by with. However, I am always hesitant to tell anyone they should start poking around inside electronic components. You should know there are voltages inside the unit even after it has been powered down that can knock you on your butt and you willl not get up. If you don't know how to fully drain the power supply and where not to touch your hands or the probe, do not in any way attempt this repair.

I'm a bit confused why you would come here when you have answers that indicate which components need replacement - did you think we would have a different answer that wouldn't involve any repairs?

If you doubt what you've been told or you find the repair beyond your skill level, then you need to take the unit in for repairs at a qualified service center. Ask for an estimate of repair costs before you OK any actual work and with an estimate in hand you should be able to decide whether a repair or a replacement is your best option. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the estimate and I'd head straight to the recycle pile with the Bose unit.

Of course, if the unit still works other than the display intensity, you can just keep it until it finally withers away and then make your decision.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us