Pro amp help

Username: Bobbycd

Post Number: 6
Hi I am hoping someone could enlighten me on the usage of pro amps in regard to a home theater setup. I have zero knowlege on amps in general so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Now from what I have read pro amps are cheaper and usually have alot of power but they also can be quite noisey from the fans, I am also under the impression that pro amps need to be modified to work in a home theater system, is this true?

Since this is for a home theater should I consider pro amps or just stick to a multi channel power amp?

Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14393
What type of amps?
How many speakers?
What preamp?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14377

Stick to a multi-channel amp meant for home use.

Since you claim no knowledge of "amps" I am going to assume you have not really done sufficient homework to understand the difference between a "home theater receiver" and a "multi-channel amp". There's no need to make the distinct here if you already know how the two differ and, if you do not, then that answers many of your other questions without going further. To be quick about it an "amp" is not a receiver and will need more than just itself to make sound.

Staying strictly with the "amplifier" portion in a home theater there is no reason to not buy a component meant for the task you intend for it. Would you buy a screwdriver if you needed a saw? Buy what best suits the job at hand and you'll have the best system and the most satisfying results.

The difference in "watts" between a pro amp and a consumer based amplifier are only a small portion of the difference between the two markets. Watts are very flexible in how they are described and how the are attained. While on paper the two markets sell amplifiers which may appear similar the two markets do not share the same requirements for their products. Buy the component that is meant for the market you occupy - "home" theater.

If you think you'll end up with more power from a pro amp for the same money, then you are probably wrong and, at the very least, misguided. Power is fungible and the actual difference in volume between two amplifiers of the same make is minimal when you double the wattage. Going from 50 to 100 or 250 to 500 watts - whenever you double the power and all things are equal - will only gain you +3dB in headroom. That normally works out to such a small difference it is typically unnoticeable in the real world. Once you begin to compare two amplifiers from two different manufacturers, the difference in real world terms can be even less apparent.

The way to get volume, if that's what you're after, is by buying speakers with a higher "sensitivity" specification. Any good audio salesperson should be able to explain how that works.

Don't bother with the pro amps, they make concessions to their market that are needless and often bothersome in a consumer installation. Buy what suits your needs, which is a consumer based system.

Username: Bobbycd

Post Number: 7
Absolutley the help I was looking for...thanks so much. I figured that sticking with basics was MY best bet and I appreciate the help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14403
What did I miss?

Nice exchange there.

Let us know, bob.

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14380

You're not reading the posts for what they are, Nuck. You are inserting ideas that aren't there. Read the questions as posed and then ask questions and make statements that are pertinent.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14417
Keep it simple, like?

Platinum Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14384

Just read the posts as they sit. This op said, "I have zero knowlege on amps in general so any advice would be greatly appreciated."

There's a prety good chance this guy doesn't have gear picked out. He's just looking for information because he's heard so and so about such and such.

Likewise telling someome to measure for voltage. 99.9% of the people using this forum don't own a meter, don't know what you're talking about when you say such things and would have no idea where to place probes that wouldn't fry them and the equipment. IMO it's a bad idea to encourage anyone to open up equipment. I see you getting people to a certain point and then you can't answer any more questions.

Like Don on the Bose display thread, he says he used to repair TV's but doesn't know how to identify a backlit display.

Better to not get them thinking you know the one component they can swap out for pennies and all their problems will go away. That's why there are repair shops.

Check this, this and this - without sticking your hands in the gear and endangering your life - and then take it to the shop.

Generic usually gets the job done at first. Then you can tell whether someone knows what you're talking about. But, I've yet to find anyone who can actually repair equipment over this forum. Correcting obvious screw ups is one thing, diagnosing faulty ic's is another.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us