Help with setting out sound system for lounge/nightclub

Username: Robotrokk

Post Number: 1
I used to mobile DJ for a few years but used very straightforward stuff.. two speakers, one amp etc etc.

Im doing a new project for a friend and we need to setup a new sound system in a small lounge/nightclub. Mostly lounge.

Here is a list of equipment that we are planning to purchase...

FOUR Mackie C300z

TWO Behringer EP4000

and then just some
2 Pioneer CDJ-400 DJ CD Players
1 Behringer DDM-4000 DJ Mixer

speakon cables for mackies to amp?

how to connect two amps together.

am i missing anything?

speakers will be wall mounted.

I have a little hunch on how to hook them up right, mostly going to read the manual.. but need some opinions if this is the right set for for a small lounge/restaurant that's about 3000 sq. ft

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14358

Where are you buying the equipment? If it
is from a brick and mortar dealership, they are your best source of information for such a project. Take in a floorplan drawing and a few pictures of the space to give them a sense of the layout and they should be able to assist you in positioning speakers/equipment and thinking out any possible problems. That's part of the sale that goes with using a dealership instead of buying used gear or something off eBay.

Offhand I'd say you're thinking too much like people are going to get up and dance instead of sit down and enjoy a quiet dinner. Personally, I'd go for more speakers with more evenly spaced distribution within the area. Two amps? That's overkill for a restaurant. One very good amp with an autoformer based selector switch box should do everything you need for conversational levels in a restaurant and sound better doing it.

Allowing for level setting of individual pairs has always been my idea of how to please a customer rather than the "if you don't like it, leave" approach of all speakers playing at the same level no matter. Treat this as if it were a small party in your home where the conversations and groups of people shift throughout the course of the night.

I would also make contingency plans for what you will do should any piece of equipment go down for repairs. Do you do without music for a week? Or, do you have a backup plan that keeps the music going? And be certain to provide security for the equipment by placing it where only a few employees can change any setting - you don't want to be paying for the employees' after hour's parties that damage the system.

Username: Robotrokk

Post Number: 2
Im buying from an online retailer kpodj.com

So obviously we need something better than a Behringer EP4000 to cover all four speakers right? can you link any 'switch boxes' that would cover those? i dont even know what a switch box is, haha. Pardon my ignorance.

I greatly appreciate your input on this.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 14360

I'm not trying to be rude but you need person to person assistance. Find a local dealer who will provide that before and after the sale service. Saving a few bucks by buying on line when you really have little knowledge to even start the job is foolish.

What are you going to do if everything you buy gets hooked up and then doesn't make a sound? Or on a busy weekend the system starts to making loud buzzing sounds? You think the online guy is going to care, let alone offer help? Everything you save buying on line will be spent on the first service call from the local shop to fix the problem.

I can't design a system over a forum. I think your initial plan needs to be rethought all the way down to where you do business. At least go talk to a local shop and get an idea why you should buy from them or not.

Bronze Member
Username: Chriswild87

Holden, MA

Post Number: 49
To follow up with Jan's post, and I am no expert, but a hobbiest, I was in a lounge/restaurant here in Boston and their system sounded good. They had atleast 20 Paradigm V.5 Mini Monitors i think evenly spaced hanging from the ceiling and a solid NAD integrated amp contected to what i could only assume was sometime of selector switch to connect to all the speakers. They could of had more somewhere else this all i could see. The set up sounded really good for the setting and there was sufficient bass etc. I'm not saying this is the system you should go with, but just an example of Jan's suggestion to what I understood it too be.

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1394
A lounge I used to frequent in Syracuse NY uses alesis powered studio monitors all over the place, and they sound fantastic.

And Jan is right.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us