Rotel RB-1090 vs Parasound Halo A21

Username: Sro

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 6
I am thinking of trading in my Rotel RB-1090 amp for the Parasound Halo A21. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether the A21 is better? Everything I have read seems to indicate that they are very close in sound quality. Any suggestions?

Steve

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 14063
SU, what is your other equipment, the preamp?

What are you looking to improve upon?

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 7
Nick, I had heard that the A21 was better/smother. I have the Rotel RC-1090 preamp and Legacy Focus HD speakers. The Rotel Amp sounds great but looking for opinions on the Parasound Halo A-21

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14064
I would not split the Rotels for the Parasound.

Do you have a link to your speakers?

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3344
Keep the RB-1090, especially if you already have a the pre-amp. A matched Rotel system is a good thing.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 8
Here is the link to the Legacy Focus HD speakers.

http://www.legacyaudio.com/index.php?Itemid=300189&option=com_zoo&view=item&cate gory_id=1&item_id=4

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14065
OMG!

Nice to see a 6th order in the bass XO..what is assisted I wonder?

Hire a mover.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14066
i would not spit the Rotel still.
Again, what are you trying to improve?
Beyond a stereo amp, the next move is a Class D or other switching amp, or mono blocks.

Let talk about your room....

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 9
Nuck,

The Rotel uses a dual mono design, meaning there are two separate amps in one cabinet. It's like have two mono blocks in one case. I have heard that D class has not been perfected yet.

What am I trying to improve? The more you ask me that the less I know. I just heard the Halo A21 is better and I have owned the RB-1090 for 9 years, which is the longest I have ever owned an amp.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3355
The 1090 is a venerable unit Stephen. I'd hang onto it.

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1070
An article comparing your Rotel amp to Parasound, though not the A21. They speak quite well of the Rotel. Why give up on it?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 14148
SU, if you just want to drop some coin, there are many venerable charities out at this time of year.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 10
George,

Was that by chance, the Stereophile article published in 2000? That article convinced me to buy the RB-1090 nine years ago. It's true that there is no listener fatigue. The link to the article is below.

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/100rotel/

Bronze Member

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 11
Nuck,

Ok, ok, what was I thinking?

SU

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1198
Nuck....OBVIOUSLY, SU, being from Boston, found out that someone in New York got a Parasound Halo A21 so now HE has to have one too! You know how those Beantowners are.

Just bustin' your chops, SU. Those are some beefy speaks, man. If you don't know what you're trying to improve then there's no sense in improving. Your room probably has plenty of sound improving potential though. Take a look around. And there's plenty of room advice in the forums...if your room (and WAF) can take it.

Bronze Member

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 12
Stryvn,

Speaking of my room...I just moved and I went from a huge family room with a cathedral ceiling and sky lights to a medium sized family room with a regular ceiling and no skylights. What an improvement and I don't even know why!

Improvements are tighter and deeper bass, smoother mid-range and more transparent highs. There is much more detail coming through and the imaging is fantastic! What a surprise for me once I moved in and hooked everything up!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us