Speaker diagnosticians?

peter
Need advice on the cause of a speaker problem. Recently purchased Paradigm Studio Reference 60. On deep bass, one of the speakers makes a "vibrating" sound emitting from the lower driver. When I just mobilize the driver with my hands gently, the problem subsides for a few days. Seems like the driver is getting stuck or something. Does this make sense, and if so, does it sound like a defective driver or something with the crossover connections.

Berny
Sounds like a defective or blown driver. Happens when the speaker are driven by amps rated for more than the speakers can handle.
Have it replaced immediately because this is not a normal problem and it will not go away. Having to "mobilize" the speakers manually is not normal.
cheers

Anonymous
Are there screws holding the driver on? You might have some wire or insulating material hitting the back of the driver. By "mobilizing" the driver, you might be pushung the driver in a little, and moving the offending material back. Maybe it keeps vibrating back into it's previous position as you listen. Remove the screws, pull out the driver, and take a peek.

My second thought is that the screws holding the driver in place might need to be tightened a little. Is it possible that "mobilizing" the driver temporarily causes it to be more snug in it's mounting position? Just tighten the mounting screws. Not too tight if the speaker cabinet is made of particle board.

Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us