I need input, need to make a decision

Username: Smokemonster

Post Number: 1
hi everyone, i am hoping to get some imput on 3 diferent sets of front speakers. i am open to all thoughts and suggestions. ok these are the 3. first is klipsch rb-81, second is definitive technology studio monitor 450, and third is image psb b6. im thinking these are all good speakers, but you guys and girls might shed a little light on how these compare with one another. i appreciate your help

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2210
Have you heard any of them?

If you have, were they all set up with the same components in the same room or can you describe your auditions?

If not, how did you come to settle on these 3 sets?

Post Number: 2
hi, i haven't heard any of them. there are no stores in my area that i know of where i can listen to them. also i am disabled and cant get out much. i have been searching on the internet for information on all types of speakers and i thought that for the money these were the best? i have not heard anything bad about any except klipsch. people hve complained that they were very harsh because of the horn. i am leaning toward either the psb or the deftech 450. what do you think?

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2211
Ok, I will not be the one to advise you on those speakers as I have not heard them although I have in wall Klipsch Refernce series for my media room. Others will be along so let's get some more information for them to work with.

What will you be driving the speakers with, Amp & Pre-Amp, Intergrated, Stereo Receiver, or HT Receiver?

What will be your source, CD, Ipod device, tuner, streaming audio from you laptop?

What can you tell us about the room you will be using the speakers in?

Is this mostly for music or movies?

What do you normally listen to when you listen?

You may want to read this thread to get a jump on things...

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?1/535728

Post Number: 3
im going to be driving them with a sony str-dn1000 7.1 ht receiver. i am using a polk rm-30 for a center channel. and i am temp. using a set of polk tsi-100 for surrounds. next month i will tackle the subwoofer choice. for a remote i have a harmony one. for dvds i have a panasonic blu-ray. and for a tv im using a 50 inch panasonic plasma. im using it for movies and music. i listen to a diverse mix of music.and like scifi and action flicks. the room this is set up in is my living room, its about 20x 15.

Gold Member

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2212
With your having a Polk center channel and surrounds why would consider something other than Polk? Unless you are changing out the surrounds and center channel you should just stick with Polk speakers from front otherwise anything you play using surround sound will probably sound like crap.

What about these two?

- Polk Audio R50

Post Number: 4
the center and surround speakers are only temporary. they are brand new, but i got them for a trade on craigslist. now i am starting from scratch. but i want somthing to listen to during the process of upgrading.

Post Number: 5
i just saw ,and read some reveiws about these bookshelves. wharfedale evo2-10. it sounds very interesting. nowhere to demo these, but they coud be what i was looking for. they have a complete set i could get piece by piece over the next few months. anyone have or heard these speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 112
A bunch of us use Evos, I have mine playing right now and I love them. There is an over 800 post thread on them with more info than you could possibly need about them ( https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/571939.html ).

The bad news is since you're using them partly for HT, the center is hard to come by, and it's pricey ($500). I've also read it isn't particularly good. If you choose to go with the Evos, Buying an extra pair and using one of those as your center might be a better choice. If you don't want to be doing that, the Wharfedale Diamonds might be worth considering, as that line is supposed to have a good center and it isn't too expensive.

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 11121
I'm using a set of Diamond 9.1's up front in my HT with an extra 9.1 for a center and it works wonderfully...cheap pair of 9.0's in the rear and I'm good to go. Sounds much better than the Infinity Primus HT setup that I had before and actually cost less. Probably not quite as loud though.

Post Number: 6
freddie that thread is full of people fighting about someone named jan, not wanting to disclose what sex he or she is. jan is 100% right but i don't want to get off track. maybe i should stay with all polk speakers? i found a new set of polk monitor 70's for $540. for a pair.

Silver Member
Username: Boulderdashcci

Canton, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 113
Hmm it goes to the Evo thread for me. Try this link? https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/573154.html Or try just scrolling down the page, it's there.

Anyway I've never been a fan of Polk speakers, but if you like them go for them. While I've never heard the Diamonds I can't see the Polks being better overall (maybe superficially, as in more bloated bass). Obviously you need to make the decision for yourself but I personally would stick to the Wharfedales (or maybe the PSBs you mentioned in your first post). If you like the Polks though, go for it. It should be noted that all the speakers you're talking about are entirely different from one another though. You don't have any Bestbuys near you? They should have the Deftechs, Polks, and Klipschs......Not a good place to listen but might give you an idea of what sound you favor.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13878
Believe it or not, I might try a PSB B25 standmount here. That is also a good route to changing speakers again if you choose to.

Post Number: 7
what about psb b-6 its a new speaker

Post Number: 8
i just found a set of mirage omni 550 on ebay. how is the omni-polar sound?

Post Number: 9
here is the hopfully last set im considering. mission m-34i. any comments on these?

Gold Member
Username: Gavdawg

Albany, New York

Post Number: 1335
ok... here is my take on the sound of the speakers I am familiar with:

klipsch rb-81 : bright with awful upper midrange performance, the crossover point is easily heard, leading to a discontinuity between the horn and woofer. These would possibly be better if it were a 3-way. I auditioned these when looking myself and was instantly turned off.

def-tech: great bass presence, some would say a little overpowering. this is not for me. more of a HT crowd oriented speaker IMHO.

psb image b6: smooth and rich sounding, with a nice full bass. you will probably want to pair these with a sub for use in a home theater setting, but MY personal feeling is that in an apartment setting, they will be sufficient for music.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us