Tube-SS or SS-tube preamp-amp combination:which is better?

Bronze Member
Username: Cruel_summer

Post Number: 12
recently going through this post i got this strange feeling that there might be some truth in it.http://www.soundstage.com/noisy04.htm
The tube pre amp certainly will add warmth but would it be replicated in ss amp? i am not sure because the ss would again introduce cross over distortion and odd order harmonics, similarly the ss pre-amp would introduce cross over distortion and odd harmonics at line level waiting to be amplified by a ss. BTW i tried krell krc-hr preamp with krell fpb 600 both ss with krell krc-hr preamp with cary 805 tube,the tube warmth is still there but i am not sure if it could be much dramatic with all tubebut really a nice thing to explore .....tube-SS preamp-amp combo or SS-tube preamp-amp cobo?

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13929

Slow the train and get off at the next station.

From the linked article, "Pro-Tube arguments: they sound more like music; modern tube equipment is reliable (mostly); the essential midrange can be presented with almost magical 'rightness'; highs sound smooth, floaty and pleasantly real; there are factories still producing all the popular tubes so supplies will be around for the foreseeable future; you seem to get more loudness from less watts with tube amps."

I don't see anything in there about a tube pre amp introducing "warmth", do you?

If you are expecting a "tube sound" from a modern tube pre amp, you should be looking at a pre amp that admits it has no pretensions to fidelity. This wrong headed idea that tubes have a sound is quite old fashioned and is surely as untrue for glass as it is for sand.

The concept of fidelity is, as the author indicates, to present a musical "rightness" that is superior to lesser equipment. If you should prefer the sound of, say, a CJ PV3 with its obvious reliance on tube "sound", then you have every provision to find such a product but it will not be "high fidelity".

Your reduction of tubes and solid state to simple numbers is also misguided IMO and you should be looking and listening with different eyes and better ears. For the most part tubes and solid state measure unlike one another - unless, of course, you measure tubes and FET's. But the old fashioned belief that tubes do this and solids state does that belongs in the trash bin with side draft carbuerators and knee action shocks.

Further, your assumption that tube sound is the result of not much more than a lack of crossover distortion suggests you do not understand push pull circuitry - or tubes at all - and your belief in odd order harmonics giving the key to tube sound is equally as off track.

It seems we've been down this road several times with your inquiries. You don't appear to be getting what we are telling you.

Bronze Member
Username: Cruel_summer

Post Number: 13
quite right i agree with it some ways. the idea was not to generate the old ss Vs tube controvery but the thought of SS and tube combination in pre and amp was what intrigued me. THE question is that if one would pair a ss with a tube which combination would be better(lets say theoretically) tube-ss or ss-tube in a pre-amp combo. i hope it makes sense to put this question.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13935

There is no correct answer to that. You have to listen to the system and decide what is right for you. There are technical reasons to do this or that but it comes down to the sound and you are the one who must live with the sound. Therefore, there is no answer to a hypothetical that is so broadly posed.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13561
Tube Amp. Tube Sound, Yubey, Tube-like...
The darn tube makes no sound on it's own, but the implementation creates sound.

Pick your poison... and your speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3078
What else rhymes with tube Nuck? While we're at it ;-)

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13584
lube. hang on tight, I don't have any.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3103
I'm sorry I asked.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13613
damn straight

Gold Member
Username: Soundgame

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1028
I'm surprised Nuck you didn't come up with B00Bs.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 524
Rube?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us