The Upgrade Bug strikes again!

Username: Lg0

LincolnUK

Post Number: 1
Firstly, hello all!

Now, before I ask a bunch of questions it would be useful if you knew a bit about me. I'm a student, which immediately tells you that both space and budget are in short supply for me. I listen to a whole plethora of music, but mostly acoustic rock and ambient/post-rock (think Porcupine Tree, Team Sleep).

On with the questions!
My current setup is as follows:

Source - MacBook (a roughly even mix of MP3 and FLAC)
Amp - Fatman iTube
Speakers - Kef iQ10

This is all situated on a desk which is far from ideal but hopefully won't be the case for much longer.

Anyway, the upgrade bug has hit again. The speakers a relatively new purchase, and I think that I can get more out of them than I currently am. I have no interest in changing my source, so my choice is to either replace the amp with something better or add another component such as a DAC. I've already been recommended the Audio GD Compass DAC.

So my question is, what is your opinion on how I should progress with my humble system. A new amp, a DAC, or something different? What would give me the biggest improvement in sound quality?

Also, on another note, I'm looking into getting some good quality headphones, most likely Grado's although until I demo some that isn't certain, so that is worth bearing in mind (for instance the Compass DAC is also a headphone amp from what I gather).

Anyway, any information is appreciated, and I apologise if my post appears vague. If any more information is needed just ask.

Thanks,
Joe

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13320
Hey Joe. (I never tire of that).

What part of 'sound quality' do you want to improve?

LincolnUK

Post Number: 2
Hi there Nuck. (your right, it is fun).

I'm not sure if this is possible at all, but my main wish is to improve how the speakers sound at low volumes. When I have the system blasting out it sounds great, but living with parents and neighbours makes this a rare luxury, and at lower volumes the music tends to sound lacking in detail. To be honest I think you are going to tell me I should get some studio monitors designed for nearfield listening or something, but I wanted some speakers that would last me a while and my current situation of have a setup on a desk shouldn't be the case for much longer.

If this is impossible to do simply by adding / upgrading components, then the other thing to change would be to 'warm the sound up' a bit as the kefs come across quite analytical and this at times makes the music seem quite cold, particularly in acoustic guitar songs. Sorry I can't be more clear, I find it very difficult to describe this sort of thing with relying on audiophile waffle!

Thanks,
Joe

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13321
Joe, I suggest that you wait until the new setup/room is in place.
There are numerous room treatments/tricks to modify what you hear, and you might find something simple to help you out.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2950
How are you transporting the music from your Macbook to the Fatman? Is there a USB input?

I would try throwing a half-decent USB DAC in the mix and see what kind of improvements (if any) you hear. I've heard quite a significant difference with my PC based systems when using a DAC.

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 2127
Joe, if you consider David's recommendation worth some thought this works fairly well. They have their own distributor and Music Direct carries them as well.

I think the $99 model would be quite sufficient for you.

http://www.highresolutiontechnologies.com/5496_hifi+_HRT_lowres.pdf

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2952
The DAC needn't be expensive Joe. I use these DACs at home:

http://www.audio-magus.com/Super_Pro_DAC707SE_USB_p/109401.htm

But the one Michael mentions looks pretty good too.

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 906
I feel for you when you say you have to turn down the volume on rock music...

However, getting headphones might not be the solution - doctors are warning us that prolonged loud headphone listening is bad for our hearing !

Nearfield listening is my favorite way to listen to music - you should be able to gain quality by improving the source with a DAC.

You might want to post it on Audiogon.com, and buy used DAC there.

You already got some good advices though...
Sure beats my system when I was your age...

Silver Member
Username: Edison

Glendale, CA US

Post Number: 907
I don't want to be a party p--per, but according to an ancient Chinese philosopher, we human beings get used to luxury, and it seizes to be that, and we want better and better quality of it... hence audiophile's constant upgrade bug.

I just got pretty good speakers recently and I was really happy to have found them, but it's only been a week, and I am dreaming again of something better...

At some point, we got to just stop and enjoy the music - at least for a little while before upgrading again...

Another Chinese philosopher reminds us -

" One who knows when to stop, always has enough..."

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2457
And another Chinese philosopher scribed:

"When girl as pretty as picture - usually has nice frame"

Well, I couldn't help it :-)

LincolnUK

Post Number: 3
Thank you for all the advice, it seems to me that a DAC will be the next logical step as currently I just have my Mac connected to the amp by a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Of the two posted I think am more likely to choose the one posted by David because of it's choice of inputs. Would I get better results using the optical out on the MacBook or the USB?

Since I am in the UK shipping prices will also have to be considered. With shipping from Audiomagus the Super Pro DAC707SE will come to $158 which is £97. I'm having trouble finding anywhere that will ship the HRT DAC to the UK, so that pretty much decides for me. Would everyone else agree that this is a good choice?

James, I'd love to get to the point where I no longer feel the need to upgrade, but I'm afraid that may not be for sometime! Still, I do love putting on a good song with the intention of having it as background music, only to forget what I was doing and just enjoy how good it sounds. I can only hope that as I get older and the equipment I can only dream about at the moment becomes affordable this feeling will be even stronger!

Thanks again for the help!

LincolnUK

Post Number: 4
After having a quick search around google the Super Pro seems fairly well reputed. I did find a discussion of it on Head Fi that suggests a good (in some peoples opinions better) alternative is the Valab DAC, which can be found here:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Audio-Lab__W0QQ_armrsZ1QQ_fsubZ225604719

Has anyone heard of these/have an opinion of them? Apologies for all the questions, I'm afraid I'm one of those people that does a lot of research before committing to buying something.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2964
No problem. I'm the same way when I want to buy something - I research it to death.

Never heard of Valab DAC. I'm pretty happy with my SuperPro, I have 2 of them, in fact.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 664
Joe, put USB DAC into google and you'll get a bunch in all price ranges. Another thing to think about is what results you are getting from the different file formats you are going to feed the DAC. Feeding MP3 files isn't going to give you optimal results. I think you'll find that FLAC or other lossless formats will provide you with superior results. You likely are hearing a difference between formats even with your existing setup, are you not ?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2965
Good point Chris. Joe, if you can't hear the difference between a flac file and an mp3, don't bother buying the DAC.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2966
Pretty sure most anyone can tell the difference between a low quality bit-rate mp3 such as 192 kbps. I can even tell the difference between a flac file and the same song in 320 kbps.

LincolnUK

Post Number: 5
I am currently hearing a small difference between the two file types, not a night and day difference, but enough to be noticed. FLAC files sound more realistic where I find MP3 to sound slightly flat and lifeless. Is that what I should be hearing, or am I imagining that?

As for the DAC, I think I will probably go with the SuperPro then, thank you for the reccomendation!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2971
Yeah, that's pretty much what you should be hearing. Besides mp3's having a squashed frequency range, the compression algorithm dictates that the file's bits are disassembled, then reassembled after the "extraneous" information has been discarded. This often results in a sense of the music's beat or timing being "off".

You're welcome! And welcome to the forum Joe.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us