Monitor Audio Speakers

Anonymous
anyone familiar with these speakers?

Anonymous
I have the MA B2 bookshelf speakers. I love them.

Nice bass extension, highs are clean and soundstage is nice. They are just on the bright side of neutral sounding but I like it that way. When I get my sub they will most likely perform better than most floor standing speakers under $1500.

Bi-wireable and nice looking too.

Anonymous
I have had the Silver 5i's and the Silver 9i's. Loved them both! I also had the matching Silver center and it to this day it was one of the best sounding centers I have heard. The 5's are a little light on the bass. If you like bass look at the 9's but remember you will need some decent power with any of them. I found Parasound to be a nice match.

Anonymous
I have B2s. The MA B2s sound great. (similar to the above anonymous' post). I think for the price of the speakers, you couldn't have a better selection. The silver and gold series are even better. But for the money, the bronze series are great.

Anonymous
I have the Silver series 6's along with the Silver LCR, and FX's for the rears. Awesome sound for a great price. Integra receiver matches well with them also. Highly recommended to all.

james16
I'm very happy with my MA speakers (simply outperforms my missions then)(sold them to get these), like what the others have said, the best sounding speakers at an affordable price. My B2 really sounds great, very good imaging..... it does sound the singer is right in front of you.....

and just got my B centre last night, the dialogue is really clear..... AWESOME!!!!

just saving up for my surrounds....

also good combo with my HK 3550 (225)..... simply the best!!!!

Jeff Plous
I have a pioneer elite 45tx and for mains I bought MA Silver S8s. I absolutely love the sound of them. Really brings out the quality of the pioneer elite. I am getting the SLCR ASAP as I know it will sound awesome. Im very happy I bought these speakers.

Jeff

john dale
i heard the B4 floorstanders last night, they are simply awesome!!!!! Got to get one of those some time soon....

Micheal Zalman
i have b2 speakers connected to my avr225.... it relly ROCKS!!!! i think this will definitely lessen my night outs..... i'l bring my gf home instead and just watch movies, listen to jazz music and make love.... heheheh

i don't want to go to work for about a week....

elitefan
Monitors are the perfect speaker for a mellow receiver like Marantz, Elite etc. Beautiful sound and great build quality and finish. I have the Elite 45 with Monitor 2,1's for surrounds and the silver center. In my small room[14x14] it's an incredible sounding system. For the money at least in my area Monitors can't be beat.

hk/ma
harman kardon (receivers) and monitor audio (bronze series) is like a match made in heaven...... sweet sounding, excellent soundstage and imaging..... also quite affordable....

Anonymous
Monitor audio speakers.... sounds terrific!

value for money....

Which are the best between DM601 S3, Aegis Evo One and Bronze 2? Will be used with NAD C320bee.
"Best", detail and overall well-sounding. Deep bass and loud volume doesn't really matter.

Hudson
Anyone have the s10's??? trying to get some feedback on some of their upper end stuff...

Thanks

Jeff Plous
I unfortunately have not heard the S10s.. But I will tell you what my Monitor Audio dealer said about them.. Dont shoot me Im just the messenger here and remember I bought S8s that I love. At any rate he said the biggest difference between the S8s and S10s is that the S8s have more detail in the mids and highs (since the bass driver is slightly smaller and the cabinet is smaller as well?) He uses the S8s in professional custom installations because of their high detail. To compensate for the slight loss in bass he says (of course) get a sub. Either way these speakers are great and I couldnt ask for anything more... right now :)
Jeff

Hudson
Jeff,

Good feedback... different perspective for me to consider...

Thanks

Hudson

Anonymous
have you heard the gold series? i've heard the gr10 and im amazed by the sound, i thought it was a floorstander.... great imaging...

Anonymous
I've heard the Aegis Evo and felt that the B2s had a fuller sound. The Aegis sounded thinner. I preferred the B2s.

Anonymous
i heard the b&w 601 against the ma b2.... i like the b2 better, better imaging... clear vocals and detailed instruments... plus the price is much cheaper than one would expect...

Anonymous
Hi Jeff Plous,
Ref to your post. You mentioned S8 has more detail in the mids and highs than S10, are you referring to the new Silvers or the old Silver i series?
I in between deciding the past model of MA 9i (2 x 6.5" C-CAM) /8i (3 x 5.5" C-CAM) or MA Silver 6 (current model)

AVR will be either NAD or Marantz. Please advice.

Which series of the B&W 601 did you try against the ma b2?

Anonymous
im not sure, but B&W 601 i think is new.... but i certainly like monitor audio b4 better...

Anonymous
Hi there,
Can anyone with your experience, advice me whether is the MA Silver 9i better or the new MA Silver S6. Considering on both are of the same price range and which one should I get. It will be used together with Marantz AV. Thanks in advance.

Do Monitor Audio bronze series work well with NAD amplifiers?

Does anyone have any experience with the Monitor Audio Silver series with the new Sony DA3000ES or DA5000ES digial amplifier receivers?

Anonymous
Drazen,

i think nad will work well with monitor audio...

Anonymous
i know the bronze series are easy to drive since they are quite efficient...

Heard the B2 today, very clear and detailed. IMO slightly sharper and better than the 601 S3.
Thumbs up for Onkyo amp./dvd too.

But... The 601 S3 is more intimate and is the only speaker that has got me to shiver (in a positive way).

Anonymous
drazen,

but budget wise, i think b2s will do...

Of course! It's only a matter of taste.

dc
Monitor Audio work good with Yamaha RX-v3300?

elitefan
dc,
I would not recommend Monitors with Yamaha. Monitors are a bit on the bright side as is Yamaha thus not the best combination. I would recommend PSB and Paradigm or any other laid back speaker in your area. I love my Monitors and they have gotten less bright as they have been broken in but can't in all honesty recommend a Yamaha/Monitor combo.

dc
elitefan,

Thanks for the recommendation. The other setup I am considering are:

Merantz 7300ose + Monitor Audio speakers?

james16
IMHO, the best combination i think among budget rcvrs and speakers are : Harman Kardon A/V Receiver and Monitor Audio Speakers...

elitefan
dc,
Marantz and Monitor is an excellent combination. I would recommend with Monitors 3 brands. Marantz, Elite and H/K. Any of these at any price point will give you a great sounding system. Good luck.

G-Man
Anonymous---I have 2 pairs of Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10's in my surround system.They are very good, but what truly made them about the best experience in audio i ever had was when I added the Gold Reference Center Channel. I haven't listened to stereo since as the surround formats sound so damn good--even in Dolby Prologic II the voices and instruments just hang in the air perfectly. I believe the reason for the amazing improvement and difference is that the GR 10's have the standard tweeter on top and midrange/woofer combo on bottom. This gives you good frequency response when listening on-axis. But the center channel is brilliant--when placed on horizontally on top of my monitor between the 2 front GR10's the center speaker has the identical tweeter and midrange/woofer, except the tweeter is in the middle of the speaker and it has a woofer/midrange on either side of the tweeter. What this accomplishes is it fills in perfectly the identical OFF-AXIS sounds that totally complement the front GR10's ON-AXIS response. This creates an amazing experience in both music and movies. Add in the two rear GR10's and a HSU VTF-3 subwoofer and it is sonic nirvana--or as close as I've come to it.

Monitor Audio speakers are very easy to drive and I have heard wonderful sounds from every friends receiver ever hooked up to my system. From inexpensive Sony's, Yamahas, HK's, NADS--they all sounded wonderful. As long as the receivers played within their power envelope (and they all did)--I couldn't tell what was playing--and that's a good thing. You'd think I'd feel bad as I have a Pioneer Elite 49txi--but I don't and I still "love" my receiver. Does whatever I want it to do--and does it with class and style.

Anonymous
all i know is that these speakers especially the bronze series are B&W killers!!!

why pay so much when you can get better sound at a lower price

i'm getting a rotel ra-02 amp. what would be a best match for it? monitor b2, monitor s1, mission m72i, b&w 601s3? need help asap!

Anonymous
manny,

i think monitor audio b2 or s1 would do

thanks anonymous for the advice. i just auditioned the s1, m72i and b2 again this pm and whadda you know? i got the s1! it has a nice bass sound-which i like- and it somehow gives body to the music(soundstage effect?). the mission had clearer highs but sounded a bit flat-as if the vocals were just coming from the amp. I'll just turn up the treble on the s1 a bit and it's done! i'm happy with my choice!

Anonymous
i have the nad pre power combination 160/270 does it go well with monitor audio was planning of buying the silver s6

Anonymous
Hi there,
Can anyone with your experience please HELP. Which one should I get, MA Silver 9i or the new MA Silver S6. Both are of the same price range and they be used with Marantz. And why?

elitefan
Buy whichever sounds best to you. The Silver9 is an older model and I did not hear it but I love the silver 6. Let your ears be your guide. You can't lose with either one.

Anonymous
elitefan, i heard the silver 6 today, all i can say "its superb"

bagasrawala
i have a pair of monitor audio silver s6 speaker (speakers fully run in) to go with my nad pre 160 and power 270 , cd player is the nad c 541i . cables used are the vdH the first cd to pre, the second pre to power and vdH, the d352 from amp to speakers.
room is square 12' * 12' with floating wooden flooring. spikes are placed on plastic discs and leveled and made very stable
the problem im experiencing is out of control bass. and it gets worse when playing jazz or hard rock .
tried various positions only to help a bit and then moved it into another room which was significantly bigger.
but the problem remains.

would like to enquire from all using monitor audio silver s6's if there is a problem with it and does one have to use the port plugs to somewhat reduce the problem, or does it not go with my setup or cables .

any advice would be helpful

G-Man
I presume these NAD's are stereo and not surround components.

Unless you have damaged speaker wire, I doubt that is the cause. But you could borrow or buy some inexpensive wire and see if it changes anything.

With different wires and the problem persists--you eliminated the wires as a cause.

If you could borrow a receiver from the stereo store or a friend and hook it up to the speakers and only play the tuner (you don't want to use your other components when you are being a detective) and you still have the problem than in all probability the woofers are blown.

If it sounds fine, then you either hooked them up improperly, the NAD's have an electrical problem, or your cd player has a problem-- (or you turned the bass control all the way up and forgot about that:-)

Of course there is always the possibilty that your apartment vibrates sympathetically at these frequencies---or you have an audio poltergeist :-)

Anonymous
very important is proper matching.

Anonymous
Monitor Audio speakers are value for money budget speakers. Best sounding BUDGET bookshelf speakers.

Anonymous
Monitor Audio makes more than just "budget" bookshelf speakers.

I have Monitor Audio bronze speakers (B2s and Centre) and I would agree the previous anonymous that they are the best bookshelf speakers for the money. I don't know if you can classify them as budget. There are other speakers that are cheaper, from the likes of Paradigm.

Monitor Audio also has the silver and gold series which are a more money. I have never listened to them but they are supposed to sound even better and compete well with speakers of that price range too.

Has anyone else experienced the S10s seeming almost too mellow? I compared them with the S8s yesterday for about 2 hours and found myself listening more and more to the S8s over the S10s. I don't know if thats because I like speakers a little brighter than some, but the S10s seemed almost muted in the upper ranges like they were trying to improve the amount of detail. They were relatively new, maybe they needed more time to break in? Any thoughts?

bagasrawala
this is to correct my earlier posting of the s6, my speakers ports were loose , so i had removed them to check, as it so happened i wrongly inserted the ports. after correcting the problem , the s6 now sounds fantastic!!

Anonymous
Has anyone tried MA Silver 9i or 8i?

Well, this message comes a bit late, but I finally decided to buy MA B2 after a long time researching on and auditioning the following: B&W 303, 601S3, AR Evo One and PSB. Will match them with my NAD C320 BEE. Just felt that the ARs were way too sharp and the 303s a tad underpowered. The 601S3 wouldv'e been my choice, were it not for the fact that my room is not that large and I preferred the slightly brighter sound of the MAs. Wish me luck, though...

PLEASE HELP ME! Considering all of the possible speaker/receiver combinations is driving me crazy! I've finally decided to go with the MA Silver S6 mains, SLRC center and FXi surrounds. Can someone please recommend a good receiver in the $1000 range to use with these? I was originally planning on using the Yamaha 2400, but have since turned to the Marantz 7300 and 8300 (a little of a stretch for my budget, but doable). I want to use the receiver to do my component video switching, so that's something to consider (I saw a review on the web somewhere that said the 7300 was unable to pass 1080i or something like that).

Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
rapido,

congrats on your set-up. good choice.

steve schwarz,

i suggest you get a hk or nad or rotel receiver and pair it with monitor audio speakers. don't get marantz because they are overrated... not enough power against there declared ratings...

Anonymous
hello guys

just got my MA bronze set comprising the B4, B2, B-center and the ASW100 sub, first impression is just plain ok (ive heard better) though i know it would still get better once ran-in, now my question is, "is there a proper way of running-in speakers"? like what volume level should it be during the run-in period? does it matter if im just using a cheapo/HTIB amp (im still waiting for my Mara7400)? what kind of softwares to use, coz right now im only using Eagles-Hell Freezes Over and Santana-Supernatural for multi-channel audio and oridinary CDs for stereo....and FWIW, im using xbox as my DVD/CD player

thanks a lot guys

JL
oh by the way, that's me who posted that one above....mistakenly ticked the "post as anonymous" part

thanks in advance
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us