Stuck in quagmire of speaker choices.someone throw me some vine.

dazednconfused
need new speakers and have shortlisted the following .my room is small and i need them for music.please help
quad 11L
b+w 602
mordant short 904
monitor audio bronze 2
mission m34/51/53
wharfedale pi20
def tech SM 350.
heybrook hb3

Hawk
Dazed:

Exactly what are you asking? Additionally, what kind of electronics do you have to drive them? For instance, I listened to the Quad 11Ls today and they are more forward sounding than say the B+Ws, so there are certain electronics I would not pair them with. So, please clarify.

dazednconfused
my set up is a rotel rcd951 cd and marantz 100w amp.my tastes in music run to country,fusion,classical,soft rock,folk etc.i avoid metal,techno,rap and the like.i'm not sure what exactly i need but soundstage and decent bass is reqd. over to you,Mr.hawk

Marc Racine
Your best bet is Merak MT66. I have purchaced 2 pairs for myself and for my father, sister and a couple of musician friends. They are THE best bargain on the market right now, period. They are a subdivision of Axiom Loudspeakers. They have been compared with speakers in the 600.00 to 1,000.00 range and are available for 249.00 a pair and if you are lucky like me to find a discount store who carries them,you will pay about 120.00 CND a pair !!!!!!!!!! You will find them at:
http://www.merakspeakers.com
Don't forget to read the review by Alan Loft (ex-editor Sound and Vision Magazine...)

Hawk
Dazed:

Each of the speakers you list in your original post are very fine speakers and I have recommended all of them from time to time. However, I asked about your electronics because I believe it is important to "match" a speaker with the amp as each component has sonic charecteristics that are best if the system components are matched to provide some synergy.
I still don't know which Marantz amp you have, but I can approximate as I know the general Marantz sonic charecter. You describe your room as "small" so I would throw out floorstanding speakers and stick to the smaller bookshelf types.

I would recommend the Quad 11L as an appropriate speaker for your amp. Marantz amps tend to be a bit reserved, and the Quads have a forward sound that will also help bring out the best of your Marantz amp. The Quads can sound a little rough with the wrong amp, but I think the Marantz is a good choice. Good synergy there.

I do not recommend the B+W 602s for your Marantz as they can be a bit "pinched" in the upper midrange and the Marantz is not particularly spacious in that part of the audio spectrum, as well. Bad synergy.

I would also recommend the NHT SB-3s, a two way bookshelf speaker that is smoother sounding than the Quads, and not as forward either, but it isn't laid back sounding either. It is really pretty neutral compared to the competition. The NHTs have a very smooth and detailed sound with excellent bass extension for its size (rated down to 38 hz, +/- 3 db). MSRP is $600/pr., but they are readily available for $450/pr.

I hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us