Upgrade path.....

Username: Superc468

Post Number: 2
I'm hoping that some of you might be able to provide an opinion with respect to equipment choices as I cautiously attempt to enter the world of hi fi. I realize that they are your opinions and that no one can make a decision for me - I understand that I will need to listen to the stuff myself..... I currently have a TEAC receiver mated to some nondescript small B&W bookshelf speakers. My source is a Cambridge Audio 640C ver 2. I also stream music through an apple airport express. I would like to build a 2 channel system in a 20 ft by 20 ft living room adjoining the kitchen (all open concept). I am very happy with my CA CD player and thought I would keep that. I listen to anything from U2 to Stan Getz to Handel. Qualities of a system that I think are important to me are probably soundstage and stereo imaging. My budget is roughly $6000 Canadian or so for integrated amp and speakers +/- DAC.

Do I stick with CA gear given the CD player? Should I stretch my budget a bit and go bryston B100 SST with DAC? Or Naim Nait 5i - would the CA CD player still work well in that system?

I should have access to Naim, CA, Bryston, Rotel, Mac, B&W, PMC, Totem, Roksan, Arcam - not all at the same place of course....

I guess what I'm probably saying is if you had my money to spend - what would you suggest I put on my list of things to audition?

thanks for your help.......

Platinum Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10531
If you have access to Audio Physic, DeVore Fidelity and Unison Research I would add them to the list of must auditions.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13186
I think you should take advantage of some of the great deals on Cambridge right now in the GWN.
Hit the dealers for pricing on the Cambridge lineup, for 2 reasons.

The price is good enough to save you some real money, spend more like 2000 loonies.

The price paid is closer to recoverable, should you sell.

You will get a shot at hifi in your own room, learn how the room affects the music, and learn if you want to go further.

It sounds pretty good!

You pick the speakers.

Ok, thats like 5 or something, but I suggest you look into Cambridge.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10533
He lists no amplifier above that I woudn't rather have than CA. Go out and listen to all that you can and make a decision based on what you like and try not to get into the brain lock of "paralysis by analysis". Let your ears tell you what you like and don't get bogged down with the details. It's about music not science...enjoy.

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 480
Do you use your Airport Express with the analogue or optical outs?
If analogue, you may get better results with the optical, equipment allowing.
This is the way I am headed, needing only the 'Express. Apple Lossless as format:

Post Number: 3
Thanks Nuck and Art for your suggestions - most helpful. Leo - I'm using analogue right now - but the plan is for optical to a DAC

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3783
Superc,

The more listening you can do, the better informed you'll be. I know this is a frustrating answer but it really is quite difficult because all the different brands offer different experiences. Generally, you get what you pay for, so typically a $500 amplifier isn't going to be as good as a $1000 amplifier. It's not quite as straightforward as that since you might dislike the presentation of the $1000 amplifier, but at the $1000 price ppoint you'll find an amplifier you'll like, and then it'll beat the $500 amp you liked previously. So budget is important in this respect.

With that budget of yours, you definitely do not want to go analogue out of the AE. The question is whether you'd be better off with a dedicated streamer such as a Linn Majik DS into a decent amplifier and speakers, or alternatively something like a Naim uniti as an all-in-one solution, just add (reasonably good) speakers like Totem Arros or PMC DB1i's. The AE is a networking solution first and a HiFi solution a distant second.

Post Number: 5
Thanks Frank, I was looking forward to your opinion. I noticed that you suggested a smaller floorstander and the PMC DB1i's which are standmounts - do you think that would be more appropriate for the room size? A number of people here have said a lot of good things about Totem Sttafs and MA RS6's - do you think they would be too much for the room? Based on where I live and where the hi fi shops are it's going to be hard to demo stuff in my room.

Also, what do you think about mating a NAIM 5i with the CA 640c2 CD player?

Thanks,
Chris

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10549
The 640c2 isn't in the same league as the 5i or 5i. The Naim's are better in every way that I know. That's not to say that the Cambridge is not a good player because it is, just not comparable to Naim.

Silver Member
Username: Jazzman71

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 875
Which leads to one more important point. If you are going to spend that kind of cash on an integrated amp and speakers and keep your source, make sure you are auditioning with your source, or plan or conserving enough scratch to upgrade it.

Platinum Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 10553
Good point Neil.

Post Number: 6
Thanks Guys - I may have to rethink the source - and at least use it during my auditions if it stays....

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13220
Think systems and their inherent strengths, Superc.

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3787
Hi again,

A 20ft square room is pretty large, but it doesn't need huge speakers to drive it properly. Also bear in mind that you want to have a nicely balanced load for the amplifier so although the speakers are smaller you may get a better result with them simply because they interface with the amplifier better. I only made the suggestions I made because I know what they're capable of, and both are capable of a big sound in that kind of room. True, Sttafs would fill the room better than Arros, and still be a complementary solution to something like the Nait since they're easier to drive than Arros - but I was also looking at price. If Sttafs are in the frame then I thinkn they're worth the extra.

That said, if this means that your source isn't up to it, then it doesn't make sense. I know you have a CA and it's likely to be a decent player (I haven't heard it). My experience with these things tells me that this is probably going to be a weak point. Take along the CA to your demoes and see what the other matching CD players bring to the party.

Frank.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Frank - will do
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us