Looking to upgrade an amp

Bronze Member
Username: Dolarsbin

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 37
Hey guys,
Been a while since I posted here, but I could use a little advice at this point so I come to you guys. And Nuck, you helped me out with the Adcom gfa-2535 "distortion alert issue", which has been put on the backburner for now. I cleaned it out to the best of my ability, it was dirty as hell, and when I got done the distortion alert lit still, so it is now the 2535 out of the equation here in the livingroom setup. And so now the setup out here goes as such..... Denon avr-2807 pre-outs to my second gfa 2535 that has no issues, and to my gfa-5300 (80 wpc/8ohms). The 2535 is a 4 channel amp with a bridgeable left side, which is now bridged for my center channel, and the right side (60x2) for the surrounds. And when I had both 2535's hooked up, the bridged left sides ran my front channels @ 200 wpc. Now the gfa-5300 is driving my front channels and given for home theater use it actually sounds more even, I am thinking here my front polk monitor 70's (275 watt max), that surely would sound sub-par to the most of you i'm guessing, but I am stunned by, are underpowered. Long story short, I am looking for an amp for my monitor 70's that would blend for home theater with the 2535, yet match up well with the monitor 70's for 2 channel music. (by the way Nuck, I went with the pro-ject debut 3 and it sounds great!)..... Also, any suggestions as to a good match for the monitor 70's outside of a good match for the gfa-2535 too.
Thanks!

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 38
Forgot to mention... I like the adcom sound, could be just a hair warmer, but that is the sound I am going for. And my budget puts me in the $500 max range.

Bronze Member

Green bay, Wi US

Post Number: 39
www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/monitor70/...... and possible amps (on the used market): NAD 218thx (200 wpc), Adcom 5500 (200 wpc I believe), Acurus a200 (200 wpc), pretty much in that order too. So far.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us