No Sound out of speakers???

My son has an Phillips mini hifi system with total of 80W output. He hooked a car speaker in the speaker clips along with his regular speakers. It worked for a couple days and now there is no sound at all coming from the speaker. Evrn blown speakers make a noise. There is nothing. When we plugged the headphones in the headphone jack, we have sound. Can someone help us, I just bought this stereo for him last Christmas. He is 12 years old.

Hawk
Tamarella:

If I understand your facts, your son added a car speaker to the stereo and ran it off the same output jacks along with the speakers that came with the stereo.

If so, then I suspect you have not blown a speaker, but have ruined the amp. This would not affect the headphone output as the headphone output runs off of the pre-amp section. You see, by adding a speaker to the output, your son reduced the impedence by half. The reduction in the impedence means that the amp ran hotter and given the type of system that it is (it is meant to work with the speakers that came with it and their particular impedence load), so I doubt if it has much in the way of thermal protection. In essence, he burned up the amp.

Is there anyway of fixing this so his stereo will work or is it basically junk now???

Hawk
You should certainly take it in to a repair shop--it could be anything from a blown fuse (a 50 cent part) to a blown output transistor or IC, depending upon what kind of protective circuitry this stereo has (if any). I would say that it is fixable, but the issue is whether the cost of repair is greater than the value of the stereo--it may not be worth the cost of fixing it. But you won't know without taking it to a repair shop and having them check it out.

I applaud your son's attempt to experiment to try to improve the sound of his system. I am sorry this didn't work out.

Good luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us