Musical Fidelity x-80 or Cambridge Audio 640A v2?

Username: Chipydip

England

Post Number: 1
Hi all!

I currently have the x-80 connected to wharfedale evo 20's, and have a mild case of the 'upgrade itch'.

I have the opportunity to get the cambridge audio 640a v2 at a very good price, but wondered whether it would really be an upgrade to the x-80 or not?

My thoughts are that the x-80 may not be the best match for the evo 20's, due to the amps low power, and that the CA would perform better.

Has anyone here tested the two, or can offer any advice?

Thanks!

England

Post Number: 2
To add to the above, the evos are rated at 87db. MF recommend 90db+ speakers with the x-80, but does this really matter?

To buy or not to buy?!

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13716

Are you unhappy with your present system? Or is this just a chance to scratch an itch at a discounted price?

The most obvious question would be whether you've heard the amplifier and speakers together. Someone else's opinion might not suit your tastes.

Sideways steps are not improving your system. There has to be a reason for a change before there is reason to change.

The sensitivity of the speakers is only an issue if you play your music quite loud and have a larger room than average. If that's the case, you should be looking at more than tripling your current amount of wattage and stepping up to a much higher quality component or moving into different speakers that provide the volume.

I wouldn't jump at a new amplifier just because you can take advantage of a bargain. Wait for a good longterm deal instead and enjoy higher quality without the desire to scratch an itch.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2780
You're X-80 at 55 watts should more than enough to drive most speakers. My cheap Rotel integrated at 40w will drive most speakers to uncomfortable levels.

As much as I'm a CA fan (sounding like a broken record here), I agree with Jan that it would probably be a sideways move. Sideways moves in audio are rarely satisfying.

England

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up buying the CA last night and am currently 'running it in'.

First impressions are that its more 'open' on the higher frequencies, but overall seems a little less engaging - a lot of vocals sound like they're sung from behind a screen, and some more upbeat tracks sound a bit too harsh.

Perhaps this will mellow after a day or two of play, but if not then i think ill be sticking with the x80.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2305
Why do some people waste their time and that of others asking for advice when they are just going to to ignore it anyway?

England

Post Number: 4
Why do some people waste their time incorrectly complaining about other people posts?

If you read the OP you will see i was seeking comparison advice for the 2 specific amps. While i am fully appreciative of the responses received, as of yet, no one has provided this.

No harm has been done here, and for anyone else seeking future comparison of the 2, this thread will hopefully help them.

I will of course be back with an update when run in.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2306
Well, if you read the posts Dan, you should have seen that those guys know what they are talking about. Just how many people do you think have sat down and compared those two amps anyway. They basically gave you a comparison, telling you it would be a sideways move at best. Sorry to upset you but people go to the bother to try and prevent you making a costly mistake but you go ahead and make it anyway which, of course is your God given right. So, anyway, for the record, you will be able to provide this important information which is very generous of you as it turns out. Cheers.

England

Post Number: 5
As I expect you understand, being a 'gold member' of an audio forum, a comparison based purely on written specs does not give a fair one.

If i had be informed the CA had nothing on the MF, I would of course have avoided. But being told it was more of a sideway step was not a reason to abandon the purchase - especially as I could likely sell the MF for more than i paid for the CA, while also scratching that itch.

In truth, I had hoped that someone reading may have experience of both amps. Perhaps that was too much to ask, but you never know unless you ask.

Again, I am fully appreciative of the feedback already received, and the effort put into responding (thankyou Jan and David). My purchase certainly does not negate this, regardless of whether M.R. belives otherwise.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12889
Sorry DJ, I held back because I have not heard both units.
This is a forum smaller than most, but not short on experience, unfortunately, your OP didn't ring an accurate bell.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2798
How ya liking the 640 DJ? One of the fun things of this hobby (obsession) is trying new stuff till you find "that sound".

England

Post Number: 6
Hi David,

It does seem to be warming up, but has only been running for approx 20hrs, so hopefully has more burn-in left.

At the moment I would say the 640a separation is wider than the x80, but the x80 is more rounded/full and enjoyable.

It just seems the 640 has extended/separated the high frequencies well, but the midrange seems a little shallow, and the bass still isnt as tight as the x80.

Voices on the 640 still seem a little muted, whereas they are more alive on the x80.

The plus point of the 640 though are the tone/bass controls, as they allows me to up the volume while turning the bass down (..neighbours), whereas the x80 does not allow this. Of course, this is no comprise for a lesser quality sound though.

I'll be back in a few days with a final conclusion.

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2316
Has anyone here tested the two, or can anyone offer any advice?

Just to clear things up a bit Dan J. See, you also asked for any advice other than whether anyone had tested the two. Hate to nit pick, but there it is. I hope it works out for you -, one way or the other.

England

Post Number: 7
"Hate to nit pick"......who are you trying to fool? All you have added to this thread is negative, nit-picking comments. Nothing constructive at all.

Yes I did ALSO ask for other advice, but the weight of such isnt the same as a direct comparison is it?

What is the point you are actually now trying to make anyway? Do you expect me to feel guilty for purchasing the CA?

Gold Member

Australia

Post Number: 2317
Apart from the fact that you acted against advice you asked for, any comparison that might have been made would have been by someone else's ears when the only thing that really matters in audio is what your own ears earn discern. So tell us Dan, if someone had done a comparison and didn't like the CA, what would you have done?

England

Post Number: 8
So let me get this straight - if someone gives you an opinion (which in this case i repeat AGAIN, was not based on experience of the amps) you take it as gospel?

Add to that that the opinion here of the CA not being a negative one, your 'point' is invalid. Do you see?

Personally, I like to take onboard advice and balance it with my own views, which is exaclty what i have done.

If i had been informed the CA wasnt up to scratch from one person, I likely wouldnt have purchased. If heard from multiple people, the purchase would certainly have been abandoned.

On a final note, you seem to have an axe to grind with me, an online anonymous, here. Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

Gold Member
Username: Frank_abela

Berkshire UK

Post Number: 3707
Dan,

I think the people complaining here are trying to point out that you asked for advice, received some advice and immediately pulled the trigger, almost as if you hadn't really given it much thought. I thin the reason they're really aggrieved is that the move you proposed was at best a sideways move (which anyone with an appreciable amount of experience in the field would be able to tell given the specs and prices of the units involved), and therefore would be, at best, something different and at worst, something genuinely worse (which seems to have been borne out given your results).

I think they're more annoyed because you didn't really let the thread get going and options explored before pulling the trigger. I don't think it's an axe to grind with you in particular, just an axe to grind with people who ask questions and shoot immediately...

Frank.

England

Post Number: 9
Hi Frank,

Typically i would have mulled over such a decision for at least a week, but on this occassion i had a very tight time restriction to make my call (before the deal availability closed) hence the 'quick trigger'.

I have heard no complaints from those who actually helped - jan and david - and see no reason for anyone else to become aggrieved.

Regardless, such talk continuing on this thread is of no benefit to anyone.

Of more importance is that after some more time spent listening to the CA and MF yesterday, the current standing is that the amps both excel in different fields.

The CA seems more suited to ballads and slower music, but sadly still drowns out vocals in more upbeat music.

The MF does not perform as well as the CA for slower music, as the greater separation of the higher frequencies by the CA adds more 'space' to the music, but more upbeat music on the MF retains a better balance of vocals and sounds.

At the moment i really dont know which will stay, or even if any will go.

I expect there is still a little running in left, so will of course be back in a few days with what i expect will be final conclusions.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us