NAD T973 Price Check

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 458
Hi guys - I know the system is dated and replaced with the 975, but afaik the only difference is in the cooling system. Although there may be more, but "specs" wise the two systems deliver the same punch.

I have recently found a demo model - so technically "new" but somewhat out of the box yet fully functional (tested) T973. I can trial it and intend to and will be using an old HK 635 with the pre-outs.

The store is asking 1200$ CDN all-in. I have looked around and while there are less expensive units out there, they are:

A: Hard to come by where I live.
B: Almost as expensive when you incl tax, delivery, exchange rate, import etc.

There is no warranty other than the 90 day store warranty and apparently no avail warranty for purchase.

Of course I am suppose to be blown away by the "MSRP" vs. the real price, but I would like some of your feedback on the price they are charging.

Appreciate any returns, thanks in advance!

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2762
$1200 CDN all-in is good. There are refurbished ones on Spearit right now for 1200 USD. Once you figure in exchange, shipping, duties... etc.... well you get the point.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 460
Thanks Dave. That was along the same lines I was looking at too. Thanks for the input - I think I have a sale! Next piece... hmmm might as well make it a full 7.2...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2772
Good stuff Michael. Let us know what you think of the H/K NAD combo. I assume this is going to be used for predominantly home theatre use?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 461
Hi David - Yes - it is predominantly HT, although music is a close second.

I have been away for a while so it has only just got hooked up - first impression is that audio quality is better than with the integrated power.

It might be placebo, or convincing myself it was a good purchase, but the audio seems much more distinct. I cannot even begin to guess why power has that kind of effect but individual elements of the playback is just more clear and distinct. So I am pleased.

The only drawback is I get a distinct low freq hum when it is turned on. It comes from all 7 channels, it is low and quite resonate.

The volume does not change with the volume of the input source and you can still hear it of you turn all input off and just leave the NAD on. I am in the process of searching the forums now to see if someone has already found the source for this problem.

It does not seem to be a grounding problem (at least externally) and if it is not a relatively easy fix I think I could tolerate it, for at normal listening volume it is not discernible and does not compete with the source.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 462
Well crap - it is a ground loop of some kind - unplugged the cable from the wall and voila - no humm...

Now wtf....

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 463
"you can lift the Earth ground on either device at the line level"

What does this mean exactly?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 13363
MC, you can go about this 2 ways.
A ground lift is an adapter from 3 prongs on the power cord to just 2, lifting the ground.
The other option is to use wire to bond the grounds of the pieces together, usually via a chassis screw.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2994
Have you tried plugging it into a different outlet? One of my Brystons used to hum, but when I plugged it into a different outlet the hum stopped. Sometimes equipment in close proximity to eachother can cause a hum as well. You don't have the H/K sitting on top of the NAD, do you?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 464
They are on the same rack but not physically in contact. I have separated their outlets as much as possible with no effect. But the fact that the hum stops completely when I unplug the cable from the wall is fairly indicative...

I am pretty uncomfortable with a three to two prong adapter, but a wire bond is probably cheaper than an RF isolator (http://www.jensen-transformers.com/iso_vid.html).

Are their any safety aspects with a wire bond? They are after the surge protectors so as long as the strips do their bob their should be no problem.... right?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 465
No joy on the wire bond... chassis to chassis did not effect the hum...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 466
BTW it is absolutely brilliant with movies and music when the cable is unplugged! TV is great too when you are not listening for the hum...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13371
MC, when you say cable, do you mean the coax for your television feed?
If so, pull the wire to the outer connector of the coax.
If handy, you can use the center screw of an electrical outlet as a ground, and go to the outer coax hex.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 467
OK kool - I'll give that a go too! I figured the chassis to chassis wasn't working because ea channel in the amp was a separate circuit (basically 7 mono blocks in one chassis that are not integrated...)

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 468
And yes - coax from the wall before it gets to the tuner...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13375
MC, the noise comes from mains power and ground, all of which should be common before the output stages.

Cable right into the tuner??

No cable box?

If there is a cable box, those are noisy as all get out. Pull the ground wire over there

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 469
The cable box is where I tried it the first time Nuck - I didn't think to try it to the wall... I called the box the "tuner"...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13377
We gotta work on our communication, LOL!

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 470
:-) I had to give up for a while as the wife was quite insistent that I spend time with the family... :P Back at it after supper...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 471
Success! Crappy leftover 24 AWG speaker wire from my very first HTIB run from COAX outlet to chassis screw of AMP = NO HUM!

Ah sweet sweet music...

Now... does this create a path for a surge? I mean, the cable is grounded outside, this is what causes this effect in the first place, but now this wire bypasses all the protection gear...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13390
The cable is not grounded anywhere useful, you have created one, no problem.
It is safe, just make it look better.

Well done, MC.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 472
Can hardly see it - I will try to post a pic...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13393
I , personally, have no issue with the exposed functional conductor look, but 4 out of 5 wives disagree.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 473
As you can see by the morass of wires behind it, it is the least obtrusive in the set up...

Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 474
Ugh - need to clean fingerprints...

Now - what do we think of Bi-Amping with the HK?

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3012
I wouldn't do it. My past experience with bi-amping with different components was unsuccessful.

That looks like a Velo DPS you got there....

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 475
Yes - the 12B. Bought it a few years back with the first set up and it made it (survived) through the "evolution".

It sounds great as far as I am concerned - it has stayed on "jazz" the whole time I have had it though! The only beef I have is the volume control has no readout - luckily the HK comes with an SPL meter in the remote but you can also "reset" it by running up and down the buttons...

It gives me all the boom I want, and does not sound harsh, very "tight" if you get my meaning... It does shake the walls too when it is suppose too (like when Serenity is flying from the planet in the opening scene of the movie, or the Imperial Star Destroyers are descending on the poor hapless Rebels...).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us