Bel Canto REF1000 or Simaudio W5

Bronze Member
Username: Bluemark81

NB Canada

Post Number: 74
Currently I have a pair of REF1000's running my mains and a Simaudio Titan HT200 running my surrounds. I am considering changing my REF1000's for a Simaudio W5. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with both amps and what their impressions are? Lows are not a concern to me with the amp as I am running a Velodyne DD15 sub. My speakers are Paradigm S2 v2's. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2616
Nice to see you blue. How those Sig's sounding? I am a huge fan of Sim Audio, but have nowhere near enough experience with the Bel Canto gear to comment. Are your Bel Canto class D? Why the change? What are the Bel Canto's not giving you that you desire?

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12798
Teh Ref 2000 are supposed to clean up the rough edges of the 1000 amps.
The sim has never been rough.

Silver Member
Username: Hawkbilly

Nova Scotia Canada

Post Number: 613
I've heard the W5, not the Bel Cantos. The W5 is extremely nice, pristine, powerful.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 75
Nuck:

Do you mean the REF1000mkII? I am not aware of REF2000's.

Bronze Member

NB Canada

Post Number: 76
Nick:

The Sigs are as sweet as ever. Absolutely no regrets there and no intention of getting rid of them any time soon.

The Bel Cantos are class D, but I preferred their earlier eVo amps where they used the Tripath module as opposed to the ICE modules used in the REF1000's.

Biggest reason for the interest in the W5 is because I am running a Simaudio Titan for my surrounds and rears and the W5 would be the match for my mains.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2618
I hear ya. The Sigs are sweet. I was interested on your comments as everywhere I go, and everyone I talk to claim that Class D is delicate and fatiguing overall. Just maybe thought you were finding that with you Bel Canto stuff.

As far as Sim Audio goes, I think its great gear. Built in Canada, and sounds smooth, powerful, detailed and robust.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12800
yes, blue, MK2's. Sorry
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us