Can 80W/ch amp drive 100w 86db speakers?

allwyn
will the low sensitivity of the speaker affect performance? how will it differ from say a 89 or 90db speaker.please advice.

Derek
Yes. The amp you mention should be able to drive the speakers you mention to 105 db before the amp clips.

This is an over-simplification but, double the power to receive 3db more volume or 10 times the power for about 10 db more volume.

So a speakers with a sensitivity of 86 db from 1 watt will do about 96 db at 10 watts an 106 db at 100 watts.

Speakers with higher sensitivity like Klipsch and Infinity will be louder before the amp clips (no pun intended). It's not neccesarily better performance. It's simply louder before THAT amp clips.

Hope this helps.

Gan
do u have the formula to count it.?.i appreciate if you willing to let me know how to count the db able to reach with the power of the amplifier provided...thanks

Derek
Decibels are logarithmic. If you want, see http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/dB.html for a better formula. The numbers I gave above are general.

1 watt plus 10 db = 10 watts
1 watt plus 20 db = 100 watts
1 watt plus 30 db = 1000 watts

You can see that 1 watt is a lot of power. It can make a speaker produce 85 db...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us