3B-ST Making Strange Noise

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 797
O.k. guys, I know I've mentioned a number of times and quite recently that my Brystom 3B-ST has a mechanical hum that seems a touch louder than the norm but now there's a new noise, which seems to be a symptom of something more serious. When I shut the amp of, right after the lights go out I hear this creak from the inside towards the back. It actually sounds like a creaking door or the sound of a fan on a computer that's had a bit too much mileage. I know the 3B doesn't have a fan so what could be causing the creak, which happens consistently when its shut down. This happens whether the pre is on or off and whether a source is on or off...no noise on the speakers though. It also appears to be a mechanical creak. I'm thinking the power supplies are the culprits and in need of tune up or replacement. More reason, justification, to send it back to Bryston.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12526
I don't know of a componant that will cool down that quickly and contract to make such a noise, so the power supply seems to be the culprit.
Send it in, George.

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2224
or give it an exorcism :-)

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9730
Bryston will handle it for ya and get it back to you as good as new.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2551
George, does the noise come from the speaker or from inside the actual amp?

email Mike Pickett.

mpickett@bryston.com

He will have answer back to you promptly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 798
Noise is from the amp itself only when it shuts down a few seconds after the power lights go out you hear a creak, which is fairly loud. It can be heard from 8ft away in a quiet room, easily. I thought it was the fan in my Rogers HD-PVR 8300 but no, it wasn't, it was the 3B-ST.
I'm in the middle of my move but yes, I'll need to call Bryston next week. The big problem is I don't have a Bryston box to ship it in and my need to get them to send me one...I believe they can cost around $40 to $50.

Gold Member
Username: Stu_pitt

Irvington, New York USA

Post Number: 3326
Call Bryston. They're great people who will help you any way possible. They're definitely a world class company when it comes to this stuff. Bryston gear doesn't cost a lot and retain its value for no reason at all.

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13661

I wouldn't think the Bryston amplifier would use mechanical relays anywhere in their product but that would be the sound you might expect from a relay that is sticking/failing.

I would expect it has to do with some sort of muting circuit Bryston is using - in place of old fashioned relays - to disconnect the output of the transistors from the speakers. This is possibly done to prevent any DC volatge from leaking through to the speakers as circuits shut down.

The Bryston is a direct coupled amplifier - no output transformers - and the designers might feel frequency response down to (near) DC is a good thing as long as the amp is working as planned. If this is even remotely the case, you need to contact Bryston immediately since it only takes one brief meeting of woofer and DCV to end the woofer's life.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2552
Jan is on to something. Their Legacy stuff use to use the old fashioned replays so when you turned the power amp off you would hear a CHIRP CHIRP coming from the relay's. I guess it could be described as a creeking noise. They use a muting circuit now to make the noise go away and protect the speaker better. I was told this by Brian Russel at Bryston.

My amp use to make the chirp sound, when I got it back from Bryston, it doesn't anymore.

George- I personally couldn't wait for next week to call. Email them. They will have a reply back in less than a couple hours. Or call, the guys will tell you what it is right over the phone.

Silver Member

Post Number: 799
Yeah Nick, I'm sure but besides having a couple secs to check email I've got no time. Packing and unpacking boxes and runs from my current house to the temporary digs...wanna come help with the move..LOL.
The Bryston is packed now in a box to take over to the new digs so it's not going to be running until I drop them an email / make a phone call, which I'll try to do this week, if not next.

Thanks for giving me some insight on this Jan and Nick. I'll mention it to them, as well.

Cheers,

G

Platinum Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 13662

I'm sure they'll appreciate our uninformed guesses.

Gold Member
Username: Stryvn

Wisconsin

Post Number: 1139
In that case, I think it's obviously the Bryston cellar door closing after the power has been switched off.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2553
lol

George- I had no idea you were moving. Packing sucks. Unpacking in the new digs is fun. lol I wish you good weather.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12530
Nick has a shipping box to lend you George.

Right Nick?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2555
Yup, I do. They gave me a new one for the .5b as well. Both boxes were 35 dollars. George, when you contact them, as if any 3B box will work?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2556
Oh, and you pay for the specially made inserts. Thats why it cost 35 dollars.lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12536
Who pays for the empty box to get to you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2558
You can ship it anyway you like to get to Bryston. But once the repair is done, they will not ship it back in anything but the dedicated Bryston box. I had my shipping department at work ship the 3B, it was shipped like glass. We ship about 10-15 large Rackmoutable 60-100 pound DVR's a day, so I wasn't worried. They didn't care, they wanted me to buy the box.lol. But hey, it covers your butt as much as it does theirs. With a warranty service like they have, I would want to make sure it got back to the customer properly as well.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2621
That's interesting that you mention the "chirp" sound. My ancient 3B does that too.

Maybe a day trip to Peterborough is in order George.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12543
Field trip!!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2624
Too bad I didn't still have my mini-van.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2559
We can take my Civic.lol. Cram in there boys.

The Legacy puppies were meant to chirp. Thats how they roll.lol.

You think Bryston will let us into their factory. I am definitely wearing a black ski mask and coming out of there with at least 3 x 28bsst's. Dave you get one side, I will get the other with George and Nuck.LOL!!!

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2631
I'm not sure they'll let you in wearing a black ski mask, but count me in!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9760
Make it 4 and I'll give ya some black market bucks and meet ya at the border.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12547
Used, non sequential bills of small denomination...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12548
All in Nick's gym bag, so as to deter the border idiots from looking.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9763
Absolutely Nuck...I know the drill...lol!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2560
LOL!!!! Nice.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12552
Hey, it was free.

I am in for the tour guys. Who is gonna QB this one? I think Nick has the best 'in' to find out when.

If a whole weekend can be had, i say we go to Axiom as well, I have hotel rooms for all involved.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2633
Just give me sufficient time to "run it by" the powers that be.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12553
Rooms to spare, bring the gang, Mom and kids can shop while we tour. Saturday night drunken disaster in need of supervision.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2634
lol... sounds like a good time actually.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12554
It might just work.
George, are you listening?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2561
LOL I am game. Like David, give me a few weeks notice. It does sound like a blast.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12555
OK Nick, you are the QB, cause I am on the move.
Call and find out the sched, mano.

Silver Member

Post Number: 800
O.k. I just got back to work and check this thread and you guys have been making some plans I see. I'll need to dig out my mask.

Personally, I had thought about doing a trip to old Peterborough to drop of my puppy in person. If things are alligned, I'd love to do a tour of Bryston.

My 3B-ST is packed in a Samsung 26" monitor box right now in storage. We did the big move the past few days, no time to check emails or forums etc. I'm just starting to get back into the groove but boy am I tired. I don't want to think about doing this again in Jan/Feb when the new house is built but we'll have more energy knowing were settling in for the long term.

Keep me in the loop on any plans.

Cheers,

G

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2648
Moving sucks George. I guess you won't be enjoying your system till you get in the new house... are you gonna have your own listening room in the new digs?

Silver Member

Post Number: 801
Yeah Dave, but it will be in the unfinished basement, until it gets finished, which won't be for a few years. I may put up some temporary walls to close it in and get some of those hard rubberized shop floor foam tiles, which should deal with the reflection.
I have access to my Dad's Energy Pro22 Reference Monitors now, which were the CBC's reference monitors in the 80's. They have a wonderful midrange on them with a warm sound. Comparative to the Staff sound, though without the same resolution. I've got my PS3 hooked up and need to get my TT going, so there will be music but not as much since the whole family is sharing one open space...basement loft style, I guess.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2654
As a temporary measure for your new basement (when you move in) you could use these interlocking foam tiles from Crappy Tire. I used them in my basement. They're cheaper than the rubberized shop floor tiles, softer, and they don't have that gross rubber smell.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12608
Rubbers only smell gross after use...

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2656
Nuck Nuck, Nuck....

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12612

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2658
We used to call them "Lake Ontario Whitefish".

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2659
Man, how do we get so far off topic?

Gold Member
Username: My_rantz

Australia

Post Number: 2233
Kids, go to your room quick, Uncle Nuck is here!

Silver Member

Post Number: 802
Whoa, boys and their imaginations...LOL.

Thanks for the tip Dave...the posession date is still about 7 to 8 months away but it's nice to think about it.

I'm really excited about seeing this house get built in the meantime.

Gold Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2661
No problem George.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12616
Tell us about your listening room in the new place being built,George.

Silver Member

Post Number: 803
The room will be in the basement but I haven't yet worked on a plan. Eventally the basement will house a dedicated home theatre room, a listening/reading room and an open recreation area. The office is on the main floor and the laundry is upstairs so they won't take any room in the basement. So other than the washroom the basement will have three rooms. I haven't set pen to paper to plan how the basement will be best divided to accomplish this but I do know there should be sufficient room. Ultimately, I'm not after setting up a huge room but it looks like it will be about 12' X 15 '. I'll sound insulate the walls and ceiling, have a dedicated power supply, most likely a separate breaker box and will use wall treatments. All things in time though, the house is got to get built first, we'll need to decorate and landscape and then I'll look into plans for the basement. In the meantime the home theatre will be upstairs and I'll carve out a space for my listening room in the unfinished basement...temporary walls, possibly the separate power supply and the foam tile floor. Not sure what I'll do with the ceiling, maybe some drywall there too, temporarilty.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12620
If it's that big both ways, have a look at the direction of the run of floor loists above and judge accordingly. You may not have to cover it too soon.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us