Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through April 13, 2009Christopher Molloy100
Archive through March 29, 2009Nuck100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Gold Member
Username: T_bomb25

Dayton, Ohio United States

Post Number: 1978
Well,Chris organize a shootout,in N.Y. their should be plenty of Studio 20 owners of all 5 generations,then you would have all the answers you need.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1979
Chris have you dug up the review of the GS10 on Stereophile? it was a pretty good review.

Gold Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 2428
I agree TW - The GS10's are sick, as well as the RS6's and 8's at the price point. The MA Platinum's are mind blowing. Reference level for sure. The RS1's Chris are fantastic, and should easily rival any bookshelf speaker at the 1k mark. Such a fun speaker, toe tapping, and fast.

Chris- do you think it was just a poor setup/room when you heard the V4's? Or was it a proper demo? What was used as equipment? Just curious.

TW- Did u ever read the review on the RS6's in Stereophile? Crazy stuff.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1980
Yep,sure did Nick,sure did im about to read the GS10 review now ben a whale since i read it.

Gold Member
Username: Exerciseguy

Brooklyn, NY United States

Post Number: 2521
Yeah, I've pretty much read every review of every speaker online, but I'd still like to hear the GS10.

In all fairness, my experience with the Studio 20v.3 & v.4 were in the same horrific room at Sound City in NYC; that said, the v.3 left me drooling.

Affordable Audio did a bookshelf shootout a year or two ago, but they dug-up some pretty avant garde models, I'd like to see a blind apples-to-apples shootout based on price-point, and then pit the winners from each price-point against each other.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1981
Actually the Studio 20v4 review in stereophile was pretty promissing and they even measured well,i thought they would have a few problems because of the cabinet,it even done good in that department it only had 1 resonance mode it was high enough in level not to impart coloration.From the review the only weak link appeared to be the tweeter,and it wasnt weak,it just wasnt the best at that pricepoint,i was impressed.The GS10 appears to be a tricky speaker to partner and it needs to be on high stands other than that they measured really well,ditto for the ADD Silver 1,a Phil Jones design he designed the legendary Acustic Energy AE1,all 3 speakers done well,I would love to hear the AAD Silver 1 a 5 incher that can go down to 40htz with no BBC bass curve is pretty amazing,that tweeter they have is very special as well,i might have these on my radar in the near future.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 738
The GS10s didnt impress me that much. I quickly grew out of the BR2s, theyre overrated for sure!

1 up for the AE1s, the Neo's that is :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1987
I wonder can we stil get AE's in N.America i was a huge of the Evo Aegis 1 back in the day,the AE1mk2 i would be very interrested in,thats 1 of the best mini-monitors in the world.I traded my Evo Aegis 1s for some Bronze 2's and i always regreted it.

Silver Member
Username: James_the_god

Lancaster, Lancashire England

Post Number: 739
Tawaun you silly man!!
If you can, go through the effort to get a pair!
They're my main speakers and they're astonishing. My only critisism is they can be ever so slightly bright sometimes but I blame this on my amp.
They're a few points up on the diamonds trust me! I had some, and I could never get on with the 9.1s tweeter sounding unnatural and veiled. I found the same for the 8.1s and and quad 11s.

Gold Member
Username: Artk

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9420
Portland dealer Stereotypes Audio just started carrying AE. I'll be heading up soon for an audition...not to buy but to hear their latest products.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1988
Keep us posted on that meanwhile I'll be calling the distribitor trying to locate a dealer in the Denver area.Cant agree with you J.Jarvis on the Diamonds or the Quad L's tweeter being veiled,it would take a very very special budget speaker to beat out the Diamond 9.1's but if its somebody that can do it would be a pair of Neo Aegis 1's .

Silver Member
Username: Soundgame

Richmond Hill Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 756
Just heard the Diamond 9.1, very nice sound. Quite detailed, warm and good soundstage and imaging. A bargain at anything around $300, a steal for less.
A/B compared against the Monitor Audio RS6. The RS6 outperformed in the bottom end and was more detailed in the top end and just more transparent overall. Despite size difference and bottom end, the MA's still beat the Diamond in the midrange. But they are totally different speakers and totally different costs.
I was thinking to try out the Diamonds but now I've decided on my next move. It's going to be the Monitor Audio RS6. I'm going to put some cash aside and that's where I'm going.

Platinum Member
Username: Nuck

Post Number: 12200
They just don't put a foot wrong George, which is better than a lot of others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 758
Didn't hear back from you Nuck. The dealer has got the Diamond 9.1's in now in black and rosewood finishes. The new Canadian retail is $429/pair but he said he can discount - probably would go for $300+tax.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2032
George you should be comparing the RS6's to the Evo2's it would be a different story.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9483
Yeah I was wondering about that myself...ofcourse I would have taken the RS6 over the 9.1...for the same money, otherwise seems like an unfair comparison.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12208
All apologies George.
Are we wanting to pick up a pair to pass around for testing?
I will buy them and testers pay shipping to and fro, Canada only.

Silver Member

Post Number: 760
Hey Nuck. I've heard them and though the Wharfie's are wonderful in their own right they wouldn't be a significant movement for me. If you want to know the dealer, drop me a PM/emial me. He knows me know and I'm sure I could get him to extend you a good price.

Art, I agree with you, it's an unfair comparison but I'm not looking for owning a number of speakers but rather invest in a single pair (at least to start) for my 2-channel setup and it's got to be soemthing exceptional to anchor the system. For my tastes the MA's are up my alley and I can get them for a very decent price.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9494
I'm not sure how that last comment relates to mine...but that's ok.

I certainly understand liking the RS6 over the 9.1 and preferring to have a single pair to anchor your system...still does not make it a fair comparison...and again that really doesn't much matter.

I tried my 9.1's in the main system and certainly prefer what I have to them.

Hopefully you get the RS6 soon and and can enjoy!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12213
I almost bought a pair of RS6's with a gouge for 500$, in Cherry.
I bet you got a better deal, George.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9496
I saw a used pair recently at Echo Audio in Portland for around $700. I've always liked MA.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12218
As a repeat, I have not heard them do anything wrong.

Thats enough reason to consider them and recommend them, as I have, to a friend.

The gouge was worthy of a Michael Jackson nose job,

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9498
Ouch!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2038
I do think the RS6 is what a good mini floorstander should be,many companies miss the mark at this pricepoint on small $1k floostanders.The Evo2 20 i think i would choose over it,i also like the Rega RS3 very good in a small room,like wise for the 2 piece Gini Systems Ls3/5a with bass stands at underwood high fi.The Ohm Walsh Micro Tall's of course,DCM TFE-300,Diamond 9.5 & 9.6,Infinity Classia C332,Aperion 4T all would be my choices around the $1k mark along with the RS6's for floorstanders,but at that price my money goes on the Swan M1,Swan D2.1SE and Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 mkII,& Leisure 5 mkII Evo2 8 & Evo2 10,Jungson Beauty Deity 1,or used Totem Arro's,none of these multiway floostanders can match these 2 ways for transparency,imaging,soundstaging,midrange purity,and midbass accuracy,the lil Rega's,Gini Systems Ls3/5a with Bstnds and Ohms,Evo 20's come close though some are actually 2-ways to with the 4T lacking just a little bit of depth its a fine speaker for $650.

Silver Member
Username: Mordecai

Texas

Post Number: 114
Anyone care to recommend some budget interconnects? Now that I have the NAD and just purchased a DAC I need some advice on interconnects. I have no idea about price to performance ratios. I know I probably need something better than $2.99 but I don't want to spend $299.00 either. I'm sure it is the same as speaker wire so maybe BJC meets my budget and satisfies my economics and sound quality expectations.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2559
I use these Mordecai http://www.audioshowcase.com/catalog/premiumrcacables.htm

Gold Member

Post Number: 2560
Some nice looking deals here too http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=&srchExt=CAT &perPage=9&sortBy=1&layout=grid&page=1&srchPrice=&srchCat=861&srchMfg=372&srchPr omo=

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 115
Wow! Those are cheap (price). I figured I'd have to spend at least $35.00.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2561
The interconnects from Audio Showcase are a very high quality "generic" model used by several vendors, including Parts Express' own Dayton brand.

They are built very well & I've never felt the need to upgrade them.

I actually have some long runs I no longer use (from my HT days).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12235
The cables will work nicely, Mord, and are new connections.
Clean the connectors on theback of the NAD before plugging it in.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 120
Nuck, what do I clean them with?

I got the new NAD and DAC hooked up and I am very impressed with the sound. The sound is richer, deeper and clearer. I realize the HK had a very thin sound that made the speakers bright sounding. They are still clear but not bright at all. There is not much to adjust on the NAD except bass and treble which I'm playing with.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12267
Mord, if you leave the tonals flat and move the speakers, and your chair around, it will go better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2573
Try this Mordecai http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=341-226

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 123
Okay Nuck, I'll trust you. Is there a burn in time on the NAD and the DAC?

Chris, I wonder if I can find that stuff locally? I should have figured they were be some speciality cleaner

Gold Member

Post Number: 2575
Radio Shack sells electrical contact cleaner & it sells Deoxit.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 11457
I have read all the way through this thread and found it interesting and while i was tempted to try wharfedale Diamond I decided to try Athena Technologies AS-B2.2 Bookshelf with its 6.5 woofer for down to 50 hz response and a single tweeter. I figured this was a parent company of klipsch so I wasnt going wrong. I bought these from ebay but they were direct from sto sound and vision a company i no you all trust. These will be my first bookshelf speakers as mains. My current mains are cerwin vega dx7's with 12's mids and highs. I know this will be much different in sound than what im preparing to receive but im willing to make the change. And at 180 a pair shipped I figured why not try the athena's.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9595
Enjoy Sean...hope ya like 'em.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11464
A change in plans. I cancelled the privious order and ordered the last athena ls 300 for 88.88 plus shipping $108 and change shipped at audio advisors. My second one will be ordered soon so i have a pair.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9620
Before we headed out to Ikea this morning I talked my wife into letting me get a pair of Evo 2-10's. At $299 it was a no brainer. Ordered before I headed out the door. These will be competing with the Rega's for a spot in the main system. Something the Totem Rainmakers couldn't maintain. The Diamond 9.1's will likely head into my wife's office to replace the Paradigm Atoms or if she prefers to keep the Atoms (which she is leaning toward)...they'll be for sale.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2610
You bought the cherry-veneer Art?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2611
I really screwed-up; I wanted to buy a pair of those Sanus UF26 & a pair of the EVO2-10, but the Sanus have jumped up to $290/pr.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9621
I told him Cherry...however I didn't see it on the invoice so I sent a followup email telling him my preference. I'll be using my Atacama Nexus 6 stands which are out in the garage.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2058
Congrats Art you will be very pleased.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9624
Thanks Tawaun...I'm really looking forward to hearing them.

Bronze Member
Username: Slappyjones

Post Number: 18
The only evo2-10's I get on the web site to come at $299 are the maple.When you change it to any other color it's $339.95 ? Can you get any other color at $299 if you request it ?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9627
It states on the add that the sale is for that speaker and that it is available in all finishes. I'll take at his word for that. I bought and requested in a separate email that they be in cherry. However if maple it is, then so be it.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 146
When I bought my 8's the guy said the price would be adjusted when they rang them up.

Has anyone compared the 10's and 8's side by side?

I would have bought the 10's had I known they would be on sale 10 days later for the same price I paid for the 8's.

It is tempting to buy a pair and compare them side by side and keep the pair I like best. Especially for this price.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9655
Per Mike this morning only the maple is $299 and the others are $389 and going back up to $459. All plus shipping. I went with the maple and shipping was $43 and change...not bad and the maple will be just fine.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Yeah well they were $299 for maple and $339.95 for other veneers when I posted that last e-mail.I wonder why the other veneers went up to $389 and the maple stayed at $299?Is the maple that ugly?Or maybe he just has a lot of maple in stock because no-one is buying them.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9656
Maple as a finish for speakers or even kitchen cabinets was big a few years back but is no longer in vogue so maple is generally not a big seller. Mike also told me that he was over stocked with the maple. I like a maple finish however all of the furniture in my living room is cherry, my kitchen has all hard rock maple cabinets.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9657
Just received the tracking # for the Evo's which are on their way cross country. Still haven't sold the doggone Beta 20's...gads.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2524
Art- Give them away.LOL!!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12449
Send them to Nick.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9658
I was going to give them to my wife's daughter but decided to give her my Boston A120's because they are a better sounding speaker. So I will do the CL thing again.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2525
That's cool man. My father had a pair of Boston Acoustics speakers, huge boxy things that actually sounded pretty damn good. I wonder how the newer BA speakers compare. I have BA's in my car.

lol No thanks Nuck, my wife will hang me if I bring anymore audio/home theater equipment in the house.

Both my car and OSAP(school loans) are all paid off in two months. WOOOO 27 years old and no extra bulls$%it. This fall I am going to Art/David/Nuck style and buy up like 10 pairs of speakers and have some fun. lol.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9659
Right on Nick...good for you on the school loans and car. Ain't so sure about the speakers though...lol!

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 148
I'm confused about the difference between the 8's and 10's. They have the same frequency response according to STO's web site.

8's
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 43kHz, +/-3dB
Sensitivity:87dB
10's
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 43kHz, +/-3dB
Sensitivity: 87dB

So the 10's go lower then the 8's? I guess I don't know how to read the Frequency Response.

I can't say I'm crazy about the maple but I bet they look better in person then the STO website. $299 is a a screaming deal.}

Gold Member

Post Number: 2613
From Whafedale:

EVO2-10
57Hz - 28kHz
87dB

EVO2-8
65Hz - 28kHz
87dB

Gold Member

Post Number: 2066
From the Wharfedale Evo2 manual/whitepapers

Evo2 8
45hz -10db

Evo2 10
40hz -10db

On some bass instruments the Evo2 8 sound like they go lower than that,but when the bass contents not there its not there to some that listen to hyped up midbass's might not realize how low they actually go but the definition will be evident their bass is totally different and far more realistic than the 9.1's,they have tramendous ability and agility in the bass.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
How does tsto ship ? Fedex ?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9660
UPS

Gold Member

Post Number: 2614
Why are Wharfedale's "whitepapers" & manuals offering-up different stats?

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/model.php?model_id=129

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9661
Email them and ask them...might be interesting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2615
I've played that goose-chase before with IAG, believe me, it ain't too easy to track down a live person.

I think SKY-NET might have seized control of their production.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9662
I understand...I had a similar experience with Sumiko. Tracking down a live person wasn't a problem but getting a straight answer was.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2616
Art, please make sure to post some pics as soon as those EVO2-10 are in the house.

Do you have an ETA?

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9684
ETA 6/2/09...will post pics the following weekend.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11475
I just ordered my second athena ls 300. I cant wait to hear them in unison.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9693
Congrats on your Athena's Sean...need to post some pics.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11480
Thanks. I dont have a digital camera but ill see if I can borrow one. My next purchase will probably be a cd player that has optical outputs.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12487
Or a camera...LOL!

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9696
Hey Mordecai are those your 9.1's on Agon?

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 149
Yes they are. Not getting any interest though. I guess I will put them on Ebay or hold on to them a while and try later.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9697
Your price is a bit high considering that anyone who's interested has seen what we paid by reading threads like this. Have you posted any pics of your Evo's...love to see 'em.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11481
"Or a camera...LOL!"

Yes or a camera haha

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12502
Mord..buy low sell high...
Little pink houses for you and me...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9700
Or just plain sell...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12505
There is always that...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2620
I want to know how Sean has 11K+ post and we don't know him???

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9702
Car audio I think...there are a few folks over there with a whole bunch of posts...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2621
...there's a "Car Audio" fourm???

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12508
And more than a few very knowlagable folks.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9704
Yup...

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11489
"I want to know how Sean has 11K+ post and we don't know him???"

Hello everyone. Yeah I pretty much stick over in the car audio section but ive always had a love for car audio and home audio. I know you guys have a wealth of knowledge that you could impart. Im always willing to learn.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11490
Ok onto my stereo equipment. I have a used onkyo ht r320 5.1 that I got for a measly 50 bucks because my old onkyo 424 went on the fritz. I must say this receiver is better than I thought because it has built in crossover settings and an optical input which i plan to take advantage of with a new cd/dvd player with a optical out. I also have since bought some athena ls 300's for my mains and i plan on buying the rest of the matching athena rear speakers and a matching center speaker. For a subwoofer I have a onkyo 10 inch sub with 120 watt built in amp. I have two 4 ohm cerwin vega dx 7's with 12's mids and highs that some day ill get to put on my behringer ep 2500 at like 400 watts per channel at 4 ohms but for right now I live in a small apartment. I also have a dayton rack amp that puts out 1000 watts at 4 ohms that i plan on putting on a homemade subwoofer box with a stereo integrity mag 15. But as i said that wont happen until i move out of my small apartment.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12516
Or you drive the neighbors out first, hehehe.
Good to see you here Sean.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11499
Thanks Nuck. Driving the neighbors out haha. You mean I get sent out is more like it.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 151
Well I tried to upload a pic of the EVO2 8 but no matter what size I made the pic it wouldn't let me upload it.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9717
Use a resizer....works for me. I'll post a link later.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9765
It's official...my wife couldn't take any more and joined the Wharfie club. She asked to trade her Atom Monitor v6's for the Diamond 9.1's and ofcourse I said yes. She's jammin as I type.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9771
I guess Diamonds really are a girls best friend...ouch!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11551
LOL

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9775
We sat in her office until the wee hours listening to tunes...how fun. She uses an NAD integrated too Sean.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12556
A toast to a happy musical couple Art.
Now about those Wilbury's...

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9778
It was a good thing when the Wilbury's finally made it back into print.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12558
The vinyl box set is just staggering for quality.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 11555
Glad to hear you and the wife enjoyed the music together. Nothing like quality time. It must mean im in for a treat if she uses a nad too.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12559
Along with the mofi 180g double vinyl of Roy that I have, the Wilbury's are right up there.

Gold Member

Albany, Oregon USA

Post Number: 9780
Keep thinking those good thoughts Sean...Nuck sounds like you need an NAD...lol!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12567
Sean will be well served by the NAD product, I am sure, by the posts here.
It has the bass, it has the body and Sean is not concerned with the roll-off, as far as I can tell.

I will keep the Mac's trade-offs, tyvm.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us