Important question re: amp ohms vs. speaker ohms

Cam Romeril
Hi there, I posted this message yesterday, but it seems to have been lost in all of the new posts, but I really need some advice from someone in the know.

I have an Onkyo DS494 receiver, and Dali Blue 5005 speakers. This setup delivers great sound that I am satisfied with. However, I spoke with a guy from the Hi Fi place that said they have stopped selling Dali speakers, because too many people were blowing up their amps (8 ohms) due to the speakers being 4 ohms, thus creating potential problems.

Can anyone recommend if I should immediately stop using this combination, or should I be fine?

Thanks in advance, Cam

John A.
The guy wants to make you buy. If it works, don't fix it. All the lower-resistance speaker will do is draw more current from the amp. If it sounds good, the amp is up to the job.

Cam Romeril
Thanks for the reply- much appreciated.

Well that is good to know, and yeah, it has been working fine for 1-2 years now, so I thought all was peachy until I heard this guy from the store say people have been blowing out amps. One more question is, would using the 4 ohm Dali speakers reduce the lifespan of the Onkyo amplifier?

Thanks again John.

Cam

Hawk
Cam:

My mother's family was named Romeril and I know how rare that name is--is that your real last name? Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking?

Cam Romeril
Hawk:

yea, that is my real last name. I live in Melbourne Australia.

Cheers

John Allen
Cam, you are welcome.
"One more question is, would using the 4 ohm Dali speakers reduce the lifespan of the Onkyo amplifier?"
I really don't think so. Hawk?

Cam Romeril
John, because the Onkyo manual recommends using speakers between 6 - 16 ohms........ using speakers outside this range can potentially damage the amp, the manual says.

John Allen
Cam,
OK. If that is what they say, I stand corrected.

John A.
Consider adding a 4 ohm resistor in series.

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/5627.html

Xtehn T.
Hey folks,
Can anyone tell me what I am risking if I hook up some old 40 watt, 4 ohm speakers to my 8-16 ohm receiver? My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-d308. Since it's a high end receiver, will I have a problem?
Thanks, Xtehn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us