8 ohm amp with 4 ohm speakers - big problem??

Cam Romeril
Hi there, I have an Onkyo DS494 receiver, and Dali Blue 5005 speakers. This setup delivers great sound that I am satisfied with. However, I spoke with a guy from the Hi Fi place that said they have stopped selling Dali speakers, because too many people were blowing up their amps (8 ohms) due to the speakers being 4 ohms, thus creating potential problems.

Can anyone recommend if I should immediately stop using this combination, or should I be fine?

Thanks in advance, Cam

Berny
you may experience problems uif you continue this practice. i don't believe the Onkyo is equipped to handle that type of load and it may overheat.

Cam Romeril
Ouch, that really is bad news, as I bought the combination at the same store.

Do I have any grounds to stand on, for replacement speakers perhaps? I have been using this setup for 1-2 years now with no issues, but as I have only just learnt, that ohm combination can lead to trouble!

The Hi Fi store I bought it from still sells Onkyo, but they have stopped selling Dali speakers for this exact reason!

Hawk
Cam:

Based upon the model # of the Onkyo, you must have had these for awhile. Are they working together OK? If you haven't had any problems, then let it go because you are not an "aggreived party." (legal term).

However, you story points up a concern I have had when responding on this BBS--not all speakers work well with every receiver. Frankly, the HIFi store should have known not to put this combo together, but like you said, "it sounds great" and that is the most important thing. So it appears to be working for you and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Berny
Wow 1-2 years??? What model Onkyo do you have?? I want one of those! HAwk is right, though...if they have been working well together, then you should have no problems. However, if you do get speakers with at least 8 ohm impedance, you'd probably notice that your amp is running a little cooler.
Cheers.

Cam Romeril
Thanks! That is good news. However, since I bought this combination from the same store on the same day, would I have a case to get the speakers exchanged for something more suitable for the amplifier? Or does buyer beware come into it?

Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us