Speakers for Yamaha RX-V640

Jason
I am looking to buy a new receiver and a new set of speakers. I have a 48" HDTV, a DVD player, and a cable box. I have pretty much settled on the RX-V640 as the best choice for under $400 (feel free to correct me on this if you have a different opinion). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best set of speakers to go with this receiver. I would like to think I could get out for under $500 (looking for two fronts, a center, a sub, and two or three rears). I will probably use it 70/30 movies(and TV)/music. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hawk
Jason:

For the Yamaha receiver, which is bright and aggressive sounding, you need a smooth speaker to give you the best sound. However, you might be hard pressed to get out for under $500 if you are including the sub. However, the five satellites you can get for under $500. I am particualrly fond of the Paradigm speaker line for Yamahas. For your price range, I suggest the Home Cinema Series.

I also suggest a PSB system. Your best value may be the Alpha Image 1Bs from DMC Electronics (www.dmc-electronics.com) for $189/pr. for the fronts, a PSB 8C center ($199 @ DMC) and a pair of Alpha Intro LRs, which you can get for about $ 120/pair. Then add a PSB SubZero-i for $219, also from DMC and you have a nice HT system that will be worthy of your 48" HDTV.

Hawk
Wait, I have one more idea:

Check out the One Call Home Theater Special (www.onecall.com) which consists of five NHT SuperZero satellites with a Phase Tech Power 8 sub, all for $589.90. Super deal on some very fine speakers--worth checking out.

Jason
thanks hawk, my budget may grow (as it has many times before, this was just wishful thinking
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us