Need amp that does 100W x 2 *MAX* @ 4 ohm


I need to drive a pair of wallmounted blueroom minipod bookshelf speakers in a small bedroom. Here is what the manual says:

"suitable for use with amplifiers of between 10 - 100W RMS output into 4 ohm"
(these are the MK I models originally made by B&W)

Does this mean anything over 100W will blow the speaker? The NAD C320BEE is apparently a good enough buy, but its specs say the watts go up to 160 when at 4 ohm??

"2 x 50W Minimum Continuous Power into 4 / 8 ohms
110W, 160W, 210W, IHF Dynamic power into 8, 4 and 2 ohms, respectively"

Any input or guesses would really help me out a lot. :)


The NAD will be a very good match. The manual for the speakers is speaking of "10-100W RMS". The "RMS" means continuous power. However, the NAD is only 50W continuous power, well within the specs of the speaker. Its dynamic headroom capability of 160W should not be a problem for this speaker as it can easily soak up that much power which would only occur for a short musical transient burst. So, tt is highly unlikely that you would ever hit anywhere close to that amount of power in normal use and even if you did, it wouldn't be a problem.

Hey great, thanks! You don't know of any online retailers to buy it from do you? HiFi guys always have good URLs for equipment deals...


Yes I do. Call Ed at Kief's Audio Video ( is the store manager and they will sell the amp at 20% off brand new stock. Great people to deal with. His number is on the website.

Just because an amplifier has the capability of putting out 200 watts or even 300 watts per channel doesn't mean it would cause a problem for speakers that have a 10 to 100 watts capability.

Think of having a car with 440 horse power and a car with 150 horse power. Both cars can drive the 55 mph speed limit with no problem. And both cars can get you a ticket by driving 75 mph in a 55 mph zone.

The point is with a car----YOU CONTROL THE ACCELERATOR or in the case of the amplifier, YOU CONTROL THE ATTENUATOR (volume control).

As long as you play the speakers without having them distort wildly, you will never have a problem unless you use a very underpowered amp. If you are the type that loves blasting music you need to get speakers that have that capability. And that has more to do with their efficiency and design than their capability to accept 200 watts or 100 watts.

There are a number of speakers that can accept 250 watts that don't play that loud before they distort terribly and there are plenty of efficient and capable speakers that can blast loud enough to make your ears bleed at less than 100 watts.

And the ability for a speaker to play loud has nothing to do with the speakers ability to play the signal it receives from the amp more accurately. They are unrelated abilities.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us