Best Towers under 1000?

I'm looking for some reccomendations for additions to my first home theater. I have a living room that is 13x10 in my apartment. Here is the equipment i am using so far-
Sony Wega 27"
Onkyo Tx-DS484
Cheap Walmart cable
2 old Pinnacle PAS 15 for fronts
HTD Level 3 Center
2 Old JBl FLix1 surrounds
Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer
I am debating over whether to buy Swan Diva 4.1s, 2.1s or HTD Level 3 Towers to replace the fronts- which would you choose, if not any of these, what other brand around the same price is better?....I also plan on buying a new Onkyo SR600 to replace my old one.. and then a new Hsu VTF-2 to replace my subwoofer... Should i invest in some new cable as well?.. if so any reccomendations?

tony ng
JBL N38 (175w) or Polk, they are cheap and excellent sound quality

james
one more question- my dad has a pair of bose 901s but they are over 10 years old. I've read alot of mixed reviews on them- should I consider adding them to my system and where would they fit- could they be used as rears? I definately plan on buying new towers under 1000.

Anonymous
STAY AWAY FROM BOSE UNLESS THEY ARE THE NEW 601'S!!!

the new series 601's are actually pretty good.

I have the wave radio and triport headset. The 201's, 601's, and 701's are the only other Bose products that should be considered.

Oh, one more thing...

STAY AWAY FROM THE ACOUSTIMASS!!!

that is, unless you like no mids, no true highs, and boomy, undefined, so called bass.

Locke B.
James,

I don't do Bose, personally, but some people prefer their stuff.

I picked up a pair of Onix Rocket 750's that are SWEET, but they may be a little bit over your budget $1,000. I'm sure you can do 550's for around that price... they are a slightly scaled down version of the 750.

The speakers are smokin' and worth every cent and then some. Very full bass, beatifully articulate. As for cables, I'm still learning. I would definitely recommend you put some time into choosing quality, though. I'll post as I learn more myself.

The new Meadowlark Audio Swift is VERY tough to beat at $995. You can get more info at:

www.meadowlarkaudio.com

Good luck in your search.

Best Regards...Mike - Father & Son Audio

hey definitely get new cable and good inter connects subs you can get really good ones for less then 500.00 wharfedale 500's are good and bose 301 for surround or rear are very good if you put them on stands

question from a man with a good, but 20-year-old system:

I want to replace my speakers. I am living in Europe for one more year. Do quality speakers require power sources these days? Anyone want to recommend how to spend $700 on speakers?

Anonymous
Check out Axiom.They make awesome speakers.

Former Boston Acoustics fan
The new Polk Audio Lsi Series is killing many of the "high end" monitor speakers out there. Worth a look.

subhuman
I think the best towers for under a thousand (each) have to be the CSW Newton T-500's. CSW will pqy the return shipping if you decide not to keep them!

Best speakers for under $1000 are going to be the Paradigm Monitor 11's. These speakers sound like they should be $25,000. In fact they sound better then many speakers that sell for that price. I just paid $969.00 for a pair. You cannot go wrong with Paradigm. Last year the speaker that won speaker of the year(best sounding speaker reguardless of price) was a speaker that cost $85,000. Second was the Paradigm Studio 100 at a cost of $1700. Amazing speakers.

If you are looking at under $1000, look at the PSB Image 6T's. I have the 5T's and I couldn't be happier. I paid 600 and I would pay even more for them. The sound stage is superior to many speakers priced over 1000. The speakers are extremely accurate and can be pushed hard if they need to be. You'd be crazy to not consider these, they are amazing spakers.

Anonymous
Ineed to replace Wharfedale Lasers with something smaller (better)to suit my new circumstances price is a facter

You don't have a lot of power on the TX-DS484, so you need a very efficient/cheap speaker. Have you take a look at the Athena Audition series? The smallest of the Audition series (AS-B1) are rated @ 91db (I own a pair). BestBuys just started to sell them. The flag-ship of the Audition series are the AS-F2, are rated @ 92db, have great reviews and are under $600 for the pair. The smaller version of the towers are the AS-F1 under $400.

When you can get a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 6 for $1000 a pair you have to keep them on your short list. Also the Klipsch RF35b for the same price are killer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us