Klipsch Speakers... Which Receiver?

AussiePuck
G'day All,

I'm new to this game (and from Australia so I have never heard of a number of the brands you mention). I have purchased a pair of Klipsch RB5 MK2 speakers which I plan to use as fronts. I like the sound of them over a number of other brands, however haven't had the opportunity to listen to them for long periods. Some of the threads indicate that Klipsch speakers can be ear bleeders when partnered with the wrong type of receiver. Hence, I pose the question...

What is the best receiver match for Klipsch?

NAD has been recommended to me, specifically the T752 (This is about my price range), however I'm not sold yet.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

elitefan
A mellow sounding receiver like NAD, Elite, Marantz or H/K would work best with your Klipsch. Avoid Yamaha, Denon and especially SonyES as all are bright, thin sounding units when compared to the others.

AussiePuck
Thanks for your advice elitefan. I was considering a Yamaha, however had been advised against it...

Anybody else?

David McLaurin
I have an HK AVR-7000 beautiful sounding amp

Berny
how about a Kenwood krf-9070d...I absolutely love it with my Klipsch RF-25. But I am also using the Outlaw Audio 7100 and never really connected the Klipsch directly to the speaker outputs of the Kenwood...hmmm maybe I should try that...I absolutely love the details. Is the Outlaw considered mellow?

Elitefan:

Of the four receivers mentioned, NAD, Elite, Marantz and H/K, which would you say is the most mellow?

Just curious how these rank with one another.

My limited knowledge makes me think that the H/K is the mellowest, but I really don't know.

TC

Hawk
AussiePuck:

Listen to the elitefan who is wise and knowledgeable. Klipsch are really nice speakers, but can be bright. A bright and abrasive sounding receiver like Yamaha or Sony would be a very bad choice. H/K, Pioneer Elite and Marantz would be my recommendations, in that order. NADs are warm and are not bright, but they aren't as "mellow" as the H/K, PE or Marantz, either. You may like the NADs or not, but you would have to listen for yourself.

Benny:

I have no doubt you are saved by your Outlaw, which has a beautiful warm sound. There is nothing like quality separates for really good sound. Please tell us what your impression of the 7100 is. Anything you don't like?

TCSmith:

I would rank them as follows: Most mellow is the H/K, followed by Elite, Marantz and NAD, so I agree with you. All are quality products, but the key is to match the receiver to the proper speakers (or vice versa).

Regards.

Berny
Hawk,
The only thing i don't like about the outlaw audio is that there are not enough movies out there that put out dts-es. I have to resort to CSII just so i don't feel like i'm wasting my 2 rear speakers. Ohter than that, the Outlaw is a phenomenal piece of equipment. Now I can use my Soundcraftsmen power amp for karaoke purposes, hehe. It may be a waste but it does a great job of driving the Bose 802s.
Oh, and I tried using the speaker outputs of the Kenwood krf-9070d....not bad at all. It did an excellent job of driving the Axioms, it sounds a little muted without the outlaw, meaning it is not as loud and refined. However, I believe that as a stand alone unit, the Kenwood can hold its own.
cheers

On a side note about DTS - Does anyone know if the 2nd DVD release of LOTR:Two Towers is going to be DTS encoded? or is Dolby 5.1 all that it is going to be? The current LOTR:TT DVD is only in Dolby.

Berny
Kaffine,
The Boxed Extended Edition of the LOTR:TT IS going to be DTS encoded. Which really sucks because I now have 2 versions of LOTR:FOTR and I don't even touch the first release anymore...i am such a sucker for DTS.

elitefan
I would agree with Hawk on his order of H/K, Elite and Marantz. They are all very close sonically so I would base my decision on price, features[like number of inputs] and apperance. All are very well built with large power supplies and thus power reserves which is so important in the digital world. Multichannel power ratings are one of the key factors when choosing a receiver and all of the above[and NAD and Rotel] really shine in this area. I like the Elite's the best because they have more inputs than H/K and Marantz and are very user friendly . My Elite45 with Monitors silvers is just awesome in my little 14x14 room. With your Klipsch you will be well served by any of these receivers.

AussiePuck
Thanks guys! Your advice has been invaluable!

I have a salesperson recommending the Yamaha 2300 or Yamaha 1300 receivers. Is it that all Yamaha's are bright? Also, he recommended the Marantz 5300 or 6300. What are your opinions on these receivers? Is there a particular model of the receivers that you recommend, i.e. Marantz, HK or Elite that you recommend in this price range?

Thanks guys, I'm almost there!

elitefan
The Marantz receivers would be a good match with Klipsch. Either one would do fine. Elite receivers would be the vsx53tx or vsx55txi. H/K is coming out with a new line but current ones would be the 325,525 and the 7200. There are some really good sales on the H/K's right now. Any salesman who would recommend Yamaha with Klipsch is looking for a commission or doesn't have a clue. If he is selling both Yamaha and Marantz he should be urging you to go Marantz as they are way better than Yamaha,especially with bright speakers like Klipsch. The other Marantz to consider would be the 7300 or 7300ose.

AussiePuck
Cheers elitefan, that's great advice!

AussiePuck
And thank you for your advice Hawk!

brunocardoso
got a question , i have a onkyo sr-800 thx certified with yamaha front speakers ns-777(towers )is thath a good combo?

bruno
help is ok onkyo 800 paired with yamaha ns-777?????

AussiePuck
Hi Guys, me again.

After all of your advice I've narrowed my choice down to the NAD 752 or the Marantz 6300, having auditioned both. However, i've just had a look at the Onkyo 701 which I can get a good price on, and seems to be of some quality with good reviews. Unfortunately, I will not be able to audition this receiver.

How would this receiver pair up with the Klipsch?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us