Anybody that can help with B & W speakers..

shaun6142
Anybody have feedback on B & W Speakers, the 600 series in particular. I am interested in the DM604 S3 fronts, LCR 600 S3 center, and DS6 for surrounds. The total for the speakers comes to around $2500, is that a good price for the quality of speakers in that price range?

Anonymous
HUH, HUH, HUH, B & Ws rule!!!!

topr
B&W's are never a bargain...that's why they sound so damn good

Anonymous
BWs are great. If you're going to match it all like you posted, I can't see recommending anything else.

Some food for thought (or discussion by those more qualified than me)...

I compared some DM603 S2 mains v. Paradigm Monitor 9 and went with the Paradigms due to sheilding issues (even 3 feet or more away the BWs would mess up my monitor) and a slight lack of punch for snare drums and really deep bass from the BWs. When I say "lack" I mean in direct comparison. The Paradigms seemed a bit bright and boomy in direct comparison to the BWs, but by themselves suited my current situation a bit better.

I really liked the BWs and even considered messing with mu metal or bucking magnets to get around the monitor gaussing problem, but where I live now didn't justify going to the extra trouble to "fix" the gaussing problem.

Eventually I was won over by the Paradigms due to their harder hitting sound in my current space. I've got a Velodyne sub, but have yet to find the "right place" for it in the current space so I'm using it as a 40-50Hz thumper and letting the Paradigms handle most of the bass.

In a better space, I probably would have gone with the BWs.

Enjoy your BWs - I've heard that really knowledgable people (that wouldn't be me) use a highly technical term to refer to them. I believe that term is "really d*mn good."

I have the B&W DM604's as my mains and would recommend trying a single DM602 as your center. Orient the 602 vertically and you won't find a better match for your 604's. I use this setup driven by HK-AVR525 with DM101's as rears and a ASW1000 sub and it rocks.

I had the LCR as my center but liked the 602 better. Try them both out at the store and lemme know what you think

JOHNNY THE GUN
B & W are the SHIZZZZZZZZZ nit they are european so expect them NOT to be bright, but well balanced from top to bottom of the bandwidth

I have a pair of 604 S3's, and I believe you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding speaker at that price or price range. I am using a Rotel RCD-1070 source, an Audio Research SP16 preamp and an Aragon 8008BB amplifier. I built my speaker and power cables, and use Maple Ambiance interconnects. The result? It's hard to believe the sound that comes out of those speakers!

Hudson
Shaun, did you buy them?

What's your verdict? thinking about the CM6 with matching center and CM2's for rear...

I own a perfect pair of 802 Matrix Series 2 B&Ws(walnut) in like new condition. No scratches, dents or other defects. My hearing is going so I don't get the value from these anymore. Anybody interested in getting his hands on these gems should contact me directly. They are literally like they just were unpacked! David Most , 561-799-7070

Paul Coleman
I just got some B&W 804s. They replaced my DCM time windows. To power them I was wondering if it was wise to buy a power amp and plug it into my receiver? The problem is cost. I can't afford to spend another 3,000. If it is wise what type of amp and how much power. I am interested in opinions

Hawk
Paul:

Wonderful speakers--both the new 804s and the Time Windows (I moved into a small house on SF Bay about 18 years ago and sold my Time Windows to my dad. I have regretted it ever since, so I know the Time Windows very well).

What receiver do you have? Also, what type of amp are you considering, two channel or multi-channel? If multi-channel, how many channels do you need?

Of course, if you only have a stereo receiver, 2 channels is all that you need. But even assuming you have an AV receiver with pre-outs, and only need help with driving a pair of 804s used in the front, I would highly recommend the NAD C270, a high quality 120 wpc x 2 amp with a boatload of dynamic headroom (Can do 185 wpc on dynamic peaks!). Very clean, dynamic, and warm sounding--it is an ideal match for your new 804s. Best of all, I have seen it offered for less than $500 (MSRP of $699, can be had for $479), so it should be affordable. If interested, call the boys at Kiefs's (get the number off their website at www.kiefs.com). If you do it this way, you can then use the receiver's internal amp to drive your center and surrounds only (easy to do) and the receiver's amp will sound a tad better on the remaining channels as it will not have to work as hard.

If you want a better amp for multi-channel sound, I suggest the Adcom 7605, a five channel 125 wpc amp which can be had for $799 (also at Kiefs). Another candidate is the Outlaw 7100, a 125 watt x 7 amp available directly from Outlaw for $899. The Outlaw is not as warm sounding as the NAD or Adcom amps, but it is very clean sounding and will do the job very well, nonetheless.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks just what I needed. I have a AV Yamaha, 100 watt receiver. I really need just something to power my 804s for now.

Hawk
Paul:

In that case, get the NAD amp. It will really open your eyes (and ears!). There is nothing remotely as good priced anywhere near that low.

Enjoy!

I have a pair of 604 series 2s as my fronts, the LCR 600 series 2 as my center and the 602 series 2 as my rears and it sounds just awesome. The one thing that I would caution is that the 604s in particular like a lot of power. I had a Denon 3300 receiver and really wasn't as happy as I expected when I replaced my Wharfedales with the B&Ws. I ended up selling the Denon and the Wharfedales and buying an older B&K pre/pro and two older Carver amps off EBay. The 604s are much happier now that they're getting 200 watts/channel of power. People with receivers may want to se how the sound is before buying the 604s. However, I strongly recommend them in the right system.

Paul Coleman
I finally bought an amp for my 804s. I purchased the rotel 1075 five channel. I hooked them up to my Yamaha 1107 receiver. It sounds very good. I appreciate all the advice on this web site, especially from hawk.

Hawk
Paul:

Excellent choice. I should have remembered that model.

Hi Guys,
I have an Onkyo TX DS 575X with Bose speakers . However I am tottally dissatisfied with the perfomance and hence planning to upgrade my speakers to B&W pair of 604 series 3 as my fronts, the LCR 600 series 3 as my center and the DS6 S3 as my rears . is it a good option. Has anyone used Onkyo with B&W?? Do I need Sub also? I am 50% Music 50% action movie sort of person

gerry stephan
In response to powering B & W speakers I have a pair of 804 series and power them with a ATI 150 x 4 amp.I paid 1200.00 for the amp and Bi wired the speakers 150 up 150 down.With this configuration I get enough full range power to make waves in the toilet water and clean as a wistle response.

david r
Just listened to Paradigm titans when I had intended to purchase B&W 303 or 600. Glad I did.

I found the paradigm titans a noticeably warmer & richer speaker, and the lower price (225.00) was a bonus. B&W (325.00 for 303 and 425.00 for 600)was better with vocals but I thought the Titans sounded richer warmer and outright better musically.

Trying to test some Axioms M22ti's before I settle on the Paradigm Titans. What a find!

I have a pair of B & W CDM 3 which I bought 6 years ago. I used it with my ARCAM8 Intergrated Amp and was using them back in Asia. I just moved to California and brought my speakers back with me. I'm thinking of getting a new Integrated Amp. Can somebody recommend me one with a good bargain. Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us