How to connect a sub W/O speaker level in to a prologic reciver without sub out

sandy
i have a marantz AV pro logic AV reciever without sub out. i have just come into a sub without speaker level in.what do i do??
the reciever has pre out only for rear and center.can i connect the sub to any of the aux outs??
please help.

Derek
You need a Speaker to Line Level converter like http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15618931&St=2411&St2=86902829&St3=54200087&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15718&DID=7 or try going to a good car stereo shop.

Hope this helps.

sandy
thank you derek.but is it not possible to connect the sub(it's an active one) through the tape out of the reciever??.

Derek
I think you misunderstand. Connect the line-level converter to the SPEAKER outputs and the voltage will be dropped down to a level that is compatable with your active sub. A side benefit - the volume control on your receiver controls all speakers including the sub.

sandy
derek, thanks again. i understand.but the problem is i'm in a country where ordering on the net is very difficult.so getting hold of a converter is not possible.any other alternative?

sandy
additionally derek , am probably going to test your patience here.now my point is this:my AV reciever has tape in and tape (rec)out .the tape out is L&R RCA type. My sub also has L&R RCA type in. will not the full range of sound be sent through the tape out to the sub which will then be filtered for low freq by the sub?. what will be the possible problem with such a set up? does the voltage come into the picture here?.
as you probably must have guessed, i'm a total novice at this.please bear with me.
thanks.

Derek
It will work but you will have to walk up to your sub to change its level every time you change your receivers level. The Tape Out is always full volume and your receiver's volume control has no effect on it. You must engage the subs internal crossover because the Tape Out is full range.

Try it but turn the sub down when you start.

Once you are sick of the compromises, you'll be visiting a car stereo store.

Max
Hello,
Does your sub have speaker cable inputs? You can always run your speakers through your sub and that will also work to power your sub!
Max

sandy
thank you derek.i think i need to get hold of connectors.will try.
thank you max.but my sub has only low level in and out.any other suggestions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us