Very confused

Username: Rifleman152

Middletown, Rhode island United states

Post Number: 1
Hello, Im new to site and home theater. Im only 1 month into this, and i have the bug! I bought the Yamaha rxv663 to go with my Sony 46 inch, and also purchased Polk audios Rm6750 5.1 system. I have already started to upgrade! (the bug) I now have 2 Polk Rti6s for fronts, and Csi3 for center. I didnt realize what an integral role the sub played so i went and purchased Klipsch sub-12, probably overkill for my setup. Im working on new rears. My biggest confusion is sub to receiver hookup, Polks website stated worst option was Rca, and advised the speaker level inputs on sub to rec. and speaker out to front L&R was most optimal, this learned with Rm6750 setup, with front Large, sub Off or NO and crossover 120. I did Sub-12 same way but set rec. at 80 and sub at 120 hz,kept Large for fronts, and Yamaha offers LFE/BASS OUT: SUB,FRONT,BOTH. I chose BOTH. Is this right? I have no clue, should i go Rca hookup? and if so do i get the Y setup to both line in jacks on Sub? My living room is 15x15, entryway is 7'Hx 6'W off hallway. I have 2 couches in L setup with my system "catycorner" diagonaly in far corner. Thanks for your time and sorry for long post.

Silver Member
Username: Dlavante

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 146
use the rca for sure. i have almost the exact same setup. hook up the subwoofer out on the receiver to the white rca on the sub amp. do front large and LFE out to the sub only. the Y jack is not necessary.

that sub gets nasty loud

Post Number: 2
Thank you for the help. I will change to Rca option and go SUBOUT from receiver to LFE/LEFT (white jack) on rear of Sub and ignore RIGHT/LINE IN (red jack) as you suggest? Do my other settings look ok? Receiver 80Hz Sub 120Hz and with these settings what component is doing what; (Rec/Sub/Speakers)? Thanks again , this is a big relief. Do you own Yamaha 663?

Post Number: 3
Sorry Daniel, ignore last question regard. Yamaha, saw your profile (Duh)! Im still trying to get familiar with site. Thanx.

Silver Member

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 147
i actually own a newer yamaha reciever as well lol. cant recall the model number but ive owned quite a few yamahas so im pretty familiar with them. glad i could help!

Silver Member

D&L Designs, Daniel USA

Post Number: 148
oh and to answer your other questions.. do the receiver and the sub both set to 80hz ( i think yamahas default is 90?) with those settings all of the lowest bass information and LFE will be sent to the sub instead of the speakers. keeps the speakers from working to hard at high volumes.. other than that your settings apear to be fine.. good luck!

Post Number: 4
Thanks again Daniel. The Yamaha Rxv663 goes from 40Hz to 200 Hz, so im still not sure, but i will go with your advice, unless you think otherwise now that you know its crossover range. Thank You.

Gold Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 1805
What are the specs on the Polk Rti6s? You're using these for your fronts, right? What I like to do is figure out the low-end freq range of my fronts, then dial in the crossover of the sub at that freq. Maybe not all the scientific but it works nicely and you don't get overlap between the fronts and the sub.

Post Number: 5
Yes, the specs are: 6 1/2 driver, 1 inch tweeter, Overall freq. resp, 40Hz-27Khz, -3Db limits 50Hz-26Khz, Rec. Amplification: 20-125 watts/ch., Efficiency (1m,1w), Imped. compat, with 8 ohm outputs, Crossover Freq. 2.8 Khz, Crossover slope: Mid bass lp: 12 db/octave, Tweeter Hp: 12 db/octave. Probably too much Info, Very Green with all this. Thanks much.

Username: Wam128

Post Number: 1
hey i have a denon avr 888 reciever and i was just wondering if i could use a digital coax audio cable to run from my sub out port to sub, or should i just get a sub cable

Gold Member
Username: Mike3

Wylie, Tx USA

Post Number: 1685
William, any regular red, white, or yellow RCA interconnect will work. A sub cable will work better. Do not use a Digital Coax cable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us